PDA

View Full Version : poor seal on plastic containers

The Sappy Steamer
03-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Yesturday we bottled 3 gals. in different jugs than we usually use.We have been using Sugarhill and did some in those as well. The caps on the new jugs aren't ratcheting types like on the Sugarhill and never really seemed to snug down tight. When we were cleaning up, we moved the jugs that were just a touch warmer than room temp. We had a bit of syrup leak from the new style jugs and could hear a little hiss of air if the jugs were squeezed a bit. Has anybody seen that before, and will the syrup keep now that it has had a bit of air introduced into it after it was already cool? If we stick them in the freezer they should be fine,right? Does anyone have any insight? I have two cases of the new style jugs, but am afraid to use them. We bottled at 190 deg.The Sugarhills are all leak free. Thanks for any input.
Dan

mountainvan
03-16-2007, 08:01 AM
What kind of jugs did you use, and what size were they? I use cruchon jugs from canada and have had that happen with gallons, but only when I fill them up all the way. I fill it up close to full then push the bottom on my knee till the syrups to the top then cap, if you get a sucked in side you didn't fill it enough. It takes a bit of experience, I listen to the sound of the air leaving the bottle. The gallons hold more than a gallon anyway. so I figured it was the pressure from the extra syrup. It could also be two paper pieces in the cap, that I've seen in sugarhill.

The Sappy Steamer
03-16-2007, 01:54 PM
I used Richards jugs in quarts.They are also from Canada. I'll see if your trick works on the quart size. Did you repack your leakers or freeze them? We are putting syrup away for table favours for my daughter's wedding this fall,so we'll be repacking them in glass later this summer.I didn't want to repack twice more cause it's going in glass and we didn't want to create any sugar sand.We're a bit busy right now to mess with houndreds of little glass bottles. I thought freezing it would be ok in the plastic for now.What do you think? Did the caps feel snug on the gallon jugs or did they feel stripped?

mountainvan
03-16-2007, 03:55 PM
The gallons that leaked a bit, just a couple drops, I repacked. I've never put syrup in the freezer myself. I eat it too quickly in the house or sell it fairly soon after it's bottled. Putting it in a freezer would keep the syrup the best. The caps on the leakers were secure, any caps that felt stripped for me, it was the bottle itself.

Pete33Vt
03-18-2007, 04:43 AM
Also you have to make sure your using the right caps. I have several different jugs at my sugarhouse and each one has its own cap. Its a real pain. After this year I am going to use only one kind of jug. I don't care how much it cost. Sometimes buying cheaper can hurt.

ibby458
03-18-2007, 06:43 AM
I've had problems with Bacon jugs in the past. I also found that overtightenning them made it worse. It seems to work best for me to just snug them up good, them lay them on their sides. If you tighten too much, it seems to deform the threads on the hot plastic bottle.

The Sappy Steamer
03-18-2007, 08:10 AM
The caps I used were definitely the right ones cause it was a brand new unopened case. I may have over tightened them, but they never felt as though they ever got snug.They seemed like they just barely touched bottom and spun loosely as though they were stripped. The next batch I'll try running them down until they just touch. Now I remember why I hate changing things, but we wouldn't learn anything if we kept everything the same now would we? Besides, I got a real deal on em(Note to self........)
Thanks
Dan