PDA

View Full Version : Auto drawoff

DougM
03-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Would someone with an auto drawoff please give me some info on how it functions? (Already thinking ahead to next year :D )
We have digital controls that we are using just as thermometers now, but they were originally used to control steam valves, so they could be used to control an electric valve for drawoff.
But I'm wondering what happens when the valve opens, does the temperature drop as the pan empties? If so does the drawoff have a set time it stays open, or does the close function operate by the level in the pan?
Any info you can share would be more than I have now.
Thanks,

syrupmaker
03-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Doug... the one i have seen draws off when the temp is correct for syrup and closes when the temp falls below syrup.Not sure how the variables would work out. Do they set it to start at 8 deg. and close at 6 deg and the mix would equal a perfect 7 draw. It's a start anyway. Check with Mapleguys Chris i'm sure he knows more.

Rick

SUGARSMITH
03-04-2004, 11:17 AM
I have used an auto drawoff for a few years. I cant tell you the on-off tem but I know it is closer than 2 dgrees. Probably around 1/10 of a degree. Yes that close.

What I do know of it is that the drawoff temp is adjustable for air pressure in 1/10 increments. Mine consists of the control, solenoid valve, and temperature valve. There is also a lowlevel alarm that be it comes with. What the manufacturer reccomended for that is to use some 14/2 romex wire. Take one lead and keep it imersed in the boiling sap and put the other at the alarm level. When continuioty is lost the alarm sounds.
It also allows me to concentrate ont the rest of the operation instead of staring at the steam covered thermometer.

All else I can say is that customer service is excellent. A 12 on a scale of 1 to 10 and I would not go bact to making syrup without it.

There is a website link from the algiers site I believe.

Now if I can only get some sap so I can use it :evil:

brookledge
03-05-2004, 08:46 PM
I have a marcland auto draw off and i love it it has high temp and low level alarms also. with mine you need to know the barometric pressure to set the draw off temp. its that simple. i have a barometer in my sugarhouse to keep an eye on the changes. marcland was testing a new version that self compensated for the changes in barometric pressure. i dont know if its is on the market yet. the high temp alarm goes off at 3 degrees over the temp set. i have my flue pan set up with the low level alarm since i have a hood on it. if you use oil burner you can set it up to shut off burner if any of the alarms go off which can save big $$