PDA

View Full Version : Bad Syrup

Rich Baxter
03-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Called in sick from work yesterday to boil, only to make bad syrup. My season may be over. Will have someone taste it tomorrow to find out for sure, but I think it's buddy.

Rich

Russell Lampron
03-16-2007, 05:32 AM
What does it taste like? Does it have a bad smell while you are boiling? It seems early for buddy sap but I am in NH. It may be something else causing the off flavor. Up here commercial syrup is bringing at least $1.60 lb. So don't throw it away it is still worth around $20 gal in bulk.

Russ

MaplePancakeMan
03-16-2007, 10:50 AM
if your not a big producer, bottle it in half gallon mason jars. I had a terrible batch last year, tasted really bad compared to the others. I bottled it and set it aside for awhile probably 3 months before i was running low on the other syrup. I opened it and tasted it and it tasted good whatever it was that was causing it to taste bad before had settled out and i poured them out and re bottled it.

Russell Lampron
03-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Last year I tasted some syrup after drinking a root beer. It tasted like crap and I thought there was something with it. It turns out that it was the root beer. I took the root out and things have been fine ever since.

Maybe it was something that you ate or drank before you tasted the syrup.

Russ

royalmaple
03-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Russ-

I think that is a problem alot of guys make, they don't take the root out. If you drink only beer you'll be much better off.

fred
03-16-2007, 01:45 PM
I Dont Think The Season Is Over. We Have A Cold Snap Right Now. It Was Probably Because This Was The Third Day Without A Freeze. Good Time To Finish Up What You Have And Empty The Pans For The Next Run!!!