PDA

View Full Version : What a hard start

Valley View Sugarhouse
03-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Well I hope everyone else every where else is having a better start the the poor sugarmakers in my area... I have (off 1000 taps ) had 3 runs all about 100 gal each mon-wed seems I am not the only one off to a slow start around here.. Maybe a pm freeze would have helped a little... Well good luck to all!!
Andy

3% Solution
03-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi Andy,
Yeah it doesn't seem to be gang busters does it.
I haven't picked up 200 gallons from 130 taps yet.
Hey maybe this coming it will turn around for everyone.
We're all in the same boat.
How's your sugar in your sap?
Mine is done from recent years, but still makes some good stuff.
Dave

Valley View Sugarhouse
03-15-2007, 08:57 PM
seems like everyone around here has a very low sugar content and off flavor syrup for what little we have made.. well lets hope this big snow blows over (10-20 inches predicted here) and we can get on with a good sugar season

Pete33Vt
03-16-2007, 04:12 AM
Well its was a slow start here. I am still not all tapped I have around 150 more to do. But I got around 300 gall off the ones I do have tapped. Sugar content was way up compared to last year. This frezze up will help but we could do without the snow that are calling for at least 12-20 inches. I'd like to see about 3-5 just to help the trees.

Fred Henderson
03-16-2007, 04:44 AM
I have not made a drop yet. When the woods trees do thaw out I figure I will still be makeing syrup in june.

super sappy
03-16-2007, 07:42 AM
If you are boiling in june I ll come collect for you .SUPER SAPPY

SteveD
03-17-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm in total agreement....we havent been able to collect enough sap to sweeten the pans yet. Its March 17 and it looks like there wont be any run for us until at least the 22nd. To be honest, we didn't get going until March 23rd last year. Maybe that's the new "Town Meeting Day".
-Steve

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Just a product of global warming.

Valley View Sugarhouse
03-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Well it is the 21'st and no runs yet.. I hope everyone is well prepared for tomorrow!!! I think this is when all hell will break loose.. Open house weekend should be fun with no large quantity of syrup to sell.. lol well I hope everyone is up all night tomorrow night as well. good luck to all.. (funny how in sugaring even your biggest competition is really no competition at all) it would be great if the whole world ran the same way we do..

802maple
03-21-2007, 03:28 PM
In reality most of the sugaring in the past was done in Vermont during late March and April and not just after town meeting day. In all of our records dating back to the early part of the 1900's the earliest we ever tapped was March 17th, and we ended in May three times. The last time I boiled in May was in 1990. Most sugarmakers started getting ready right after Town meeting day and did not start boiling until mid March.