PDA

View Full Version : Sludge in bottles

sinker
03-30-2016, 11:17 AM
So this year i tapped a new bush and im having a problem with this sludge looking stuff in my finished syrup. I filter through 3 prefilters then a wool cone filter just like i always have, but im getting this weird sludge looking stuff once the bottles cool and settle out.

What is that stuff?

How do i get rid of it??

Its not sugar sand. When i first bottle the syrup it looks perfect. Then as it cools it forms this "stuff" which eventually settles in the bottles.

Any advice really appreciated, its driving me nuts.

psparr
03-30-2016, 12:12 PM
It's niter. How hot is the syrup when you filter. If it's too hot, niter can still form. Or it's time to replace the Orlon.

sinker
03-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Brand new filter and prefilters on the last batch and still had it. I warmed syrup before filtering but didnt bring it to a boil.

This is not what i know as sugar sand, and what some call nitre.....are they the same thing?

This stuff floats around in the bottles for a long time and eventually settles on the bottom like sludge.

I have dealt with the nitre or what i call sugar sand, no problem. This "guck" is different

adk1
03-30-2016, 01:42 PM
I learned this myself. You can only filter out so much with gravity filters. Only way to remove 99.99% of everything is filter press/DE.

sinker
03-31-2016, 02:42 PM
I learned this myself. You can only filter out so much with gravity filters. Only way to remove 99.99% of everything is filter press/DE.

I disagree.

I have made a lot of clear syrup with gravity filters.

I finally got this batch cleared up. I was filtering too hot. I let it cool and filtered it and now its beauties.

I think my thermometer is messed up. I will find out tonight when I compare it to the new one I just bought.

S.