PDA

View Full Version : hand filter press

maplefarmer
03-30-2016, 07:07 AM
does anyone have any info on the hand operated filter press, do they work ? pros and cons ?

NORTH STREET MAPLES
03-30-2016, 07:38 AM
I purchased one this year it does a great job filtering ,but I am struggling getting the right amount of filter media and it gets very hard to pump.but I believe that to be just expierance on my part.it was a good purchase

sweetwater sugar shack
03-30-2016, 05:22 PM
I have a 5 inch works very good just need 2 people to filter what I do is mix 2 cups of De to about 4 gallons to charge then one cup after that can only filter about 10 gallons before I have to change papers hope that helps

dogpatch
03-30-2016, 07:30 PM
Where did you buy one?Cost? I only make 10-12 gal per year but filtering is a challenge. Thanks

n8hutch
03-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Last time I was at Goodrichs in Cabot VT he had some in stock. Also there is Daryl on the Trader here that makes them. Pretty sure that's where Goodrich gets them.

Dennis H.
03-31-2016, 05:50 AM
Pretty $$$ tool for 10 gals of syrup.

Hand pump filter press will be an upgrade from flat/cone filters. Still take some work, it can get kind of tough on the arms about half way thru a batch of syrup.
I found that the cleaner the syrup is BEFORE it goes thru the filter press the easier and quicker it will go thru. So with that being said try to filter some of the niter out when it comes off the evap and then let some of the niter settle to the bottom and skim off the top and it will breeze right thru the filter press.

I can put about 2 to 2 1/2 cups of DE in before the plates are full, Now I am using a 5" filter press made by Daryl. Great little filter press for the price. Make sure you have a spare diaphragm on hand. The last 2 seasons that I used the hand pump I blew out the diaphragm, The DE is very abrasive and wears the inside, causes a weak spot and then pops, syrup everywhere.

mudr
03-31-2016, 06:03 AM
I've been wondering about these little hand pesses. I can get a 16×16 smoky lake filter canner unit for like $450. Not sure what the big guys run for some thing lIke that. Stepping up in productivity, Maple guys has the jet filter press, I think it's like daryls in size and capacity, but might have plastic plates. That is a hair over $500. For the extra 100, is a small hand press better than a flat filter canner? I would need to then buy something to can from with the press, right?

maple maniac65
03-31-2016, 06:18 AM
I had a hand press once and sold it back to a dealer for more than I paid for it and bought a short bank electric. Thought I would save money and buy the hand pump but it is hard to filter a barrel through them.

Daryl
03-31-2016, 07:24 AM
One of the first questions I ask when a producer calls about a press is the amount of syrup that they make and then we talk about the press.
If you are going to filter a barrel thru it , I tell them in the beginning that it too small.
Send a pm to me with your phone # for more info.
Daryl