PDA

View Full Version : Is Sap from a burnt pan any good?

catfisher
03-28-2016, 11:08 AM
On Saturday we had cooked off about 65 gallons of sap down to about 8 gallons in a 2x4 pan when someone got stuck in our driveway blocking access, I fed the pan then went to pull her out which apparently took about 1 minute to long. Cut the heat and flooded the pan with cold sap as soon as I realized what happened. We drained and filtered the sap which tastes fine but is definitely darker that normal. Can we cook this down the rest of the way and use it or is it bad now? We don't sell any just do it as a hobby to give to friends and family.

First time burning a pan and I sure hope the last after this, what a pain cleaning it up and getting up and running again.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
03-28-2016, 11:15 AM
if it is for you, friends and family, and the sap concentrate still tastes good ( as in no burned flavor), I say yes. Make it into syrup and filter. You really won't know for sure until then.

saphound
03-28-2016, 11:35 AM
That happened to me last year on a batch. Don't throw it out, If nothing else it's good for candy, glazing a ham, bbq sauce..and it might be ok for the table. Finish it and see.
Also, I made a batch last week that was very dark..don't know why, it never got low or burned or anything like that. Tastes very good, it's just dark.. so dark isn't necessarily bad.

catfisher
03-28-2016, 01:37 PM
Have it in the fridge and will finish it off this weekend, we'll see what we get.... thanks for the replies

michael marrs
03-28-2016, 03:02 PM
yes , a couple years ago I did it, and was told to use it for a ham glaze, or if you smoke any meats , it makes a good rub, or on ribs on the grill

catfisher
04-11-2016, 08:39 AM
Just an update.... finished it this weekend and besides being the color of molasses it has a very rich taste with just an after taste of burnt like a good scotch or whisky might have, everyone that tasted it really liked it. That being said NOT going to try to replicate it again by burning another batch.

4" of snow and the sap was still running clear up in Wausaukee, WI over this past weekend, pulling everything this coming Fri.