PDA

View Full Version : My first maple season review and "what's next" questions

red dorakeen
03-28-2016, 08:39 AM
All in all I enjoyed the learning process and while staring at boiling sap had plenty of time to think about improvements.

This is probably a typical block arch. It morphed a little after the first boil.

It uses two 4” buffet pans and one 6” at the back. Sort of a poor man’s drop flue.

Once I saw all three pans could maintain a good boil, I extended the arch enough to keep a stockpot on to preheat sap some.

With diligent stoking and judicious adding of sap it got around 6 GPH.

For next year I would like to get a proper pan (before I slosh hot syrup on myself).

I would also like to have a shelter. I was fortunate to have good enough weather this year to boil but I don’t want to have to count on it next year.

Is it practical to have such a cobbled block arch in a shack? (Of course with a good chimney.)

Is it sensible to put a good pan on such an arch?

CampHamp
03-28-2016, 09:03 AM
Given that it's a hobby for most with no cost-recovery plan that can be presented to those in charge (a spouse or parents), we often grab what we can from that handy scrap-heap to improve our boil a bit at a time or to block some of the wind-swept rain from our faces. Burnt cement block configurations are a tell-tale mark that you've begun your maple journey. Good luck.

Advice that recurs over and over in these pages is to first realize the extent of your addiction, concede that it may last for decades to come and be brave and strong -- take the big steps now so that you can enjoy the benefits while you're young and able.

Cedar Eater
03-28-2016, 11:01 AM
Keep in mind that a shelter can easily be as simple and cheap to make as a concrete block arch. An old pickup cap tied to and surrounded by stacked firewood is a shelter.