PDA

View Full Version : Color vs. Flavor with new grading system?

Russell Lampron
03-27-2016, 07:45 AM
I have made some Golden colored syrup this season that definitely has the rich flavor of Amber. My Question is how would you grade it, Golden because of the color or Amber because of the flavor? I decided to call it Amber because I feel that the new grading system puts more emphasis on flavor. Was I wrong in doing this or should I call it Golden because of the color?

vtmaplesyrup
03-27-2016, 09:05 AM
I have questioned that myself and done the same as you and graded more on the flavor than color, not sure which is right.

Daveg
03-27-2016, 11:12 AM
How about if you bottle in glass, go by color; bottle in plastic, grade by taste.

DrTimPerkins
03-27-2016, 11:19 AM
I believe the way the rules read (but it could vary depending upon the jurisdiction), you grade to the lowest class based upon either color or flavor. So in this case, your Golden colored but Amber tasting syrup would be graded Amber.

saphound
03-28-2016, 07:23 AM
On the subject of color and taste, I've seen dark robust mentioned a few times. What is robust?

GeneralStark
03-28-2016, 07:29 AM
I believe the way the rules read (but it could vary depending upon the jurisdiction), you grade to the lowest class based upon either color or flavor. So in this case, your Golden colored but Amber tasting syrup would be graded Amber.

This is how I understand it as well based on a workshop with Henry Marckes from VT. Ag.

Maplewalnut
03-28-2016, 10:47 AM
My understanding also, it needs to meet both criteria for any particular category otherwise it gets 'downgraded'

adk1
03-28-2016, 10:52 AM
I had some Robust syrup that tasted like golden, hardly a maple flavor to it.

Sugarmaker
03-28-2016, 08:58 PM
My two cents: probably wrong.
When they send out Delicate, Robust, Strong and Very strong flavors samples, or they come up with a flavor inspector from Hanna, I will start grading it that way. Until then it will be by color. We now have actual measurement tools for that.
With all maple pricing being about the same for all grades will they start paying more for one flavor over another?

Regards,
Chris

wnybassman
03-29-2016, 05:45 AM
I personally think taste is very subjective, but color is cut and dried.

DrTimPerkins
03-29-2016, 07:00 AM
When they send out Delicate, Robust, Strong and Very strong flavors samples, or they come up with a flavor inspector from Hanna, I will start grading it that way. Until then it will be by color.

The issue is that grading by color (light transmittance) is relatively easy, however the consumer is actually interested in the flavor. Typically there is a good relationship between the two.

Sugarmaker
03-29-2016, 08:58 AM
Dr. Tim,
I agree about the relationship being there. I just think it is quite difficult to pinpoint if a given syrup is on the edge of robust or has fallen into the strong taste zone and needs to be placed in a different grade category. We all know what good syrup tastes like that's part of our job. And I can tell delicate from strong flavors, so can most consumers. But how do I explain to a customer that they might get a flavor and color that are out of sync? One of the biggest discussions in the sugarhouse during our Taste and Tour weekend is about grading (color) and now a few questions are being asked about flavor too. The consumers real question is how do we make each color and flavor.
If you can give us a short summary statement on that it would be great too.
I give each person the chance to try all four grades. Most folks try at least two and buy syrup accordingly. Consumers seem to be trending towards the amber and darker, rich and robust flavors.
Our goal is good tasting syrup no matter what grade color.
Lots of folks have thought about this way more than me. And I am very much in favor and embrace the new system. I predict that it will not change in many many years!
We will do the best we can to match the color and flavor.
Regards,
Chris

Maplewalnut
03-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Interesting discussion. I'll throw another complexity into the issue. First time buyers have already been conditioned on what 'syrup' should look like. How many of us have pulled out a delicate or robust syrup only to have people say "it doesn't even look like syrup" So right away you are fighting against preconceived notions based on the dark color of Log Cabin and Aunt Jemimah So color and taste definitely matter maybe equally...must be why my sales continue at more than 75% strong and very strong syrup

unc23win
03-29-2016, 12:27 PM
I really like the new system myself I have been tasting a lot of syrup this year and have been having others do the same. I think there are 2 key benefits 1. Sales of Dark Robust will most likely increase (which is nice because we usually make more of it) and 2. Repeat customers will most likely know why they want what they want (because they like a certain taste).

I think Maple Walnut has a point about Log Cabin and Aunt Jemimah those particular customers might be a hard sell. However it is simple to say that they are artificially colored. Fortunately for us (as an industry) many people are switching to real syrup based on hearing about the health benefits and the increased use in cooking not to mention the increased publicity.

Sugarmaker
03-29-2016, 07:10 PM
I agree that we have several generations of folks that think all syrup should be dark based on NON maple products on the store shelves. So what would the situation be if all the fake syrup companies started making it in different colors and marketing different flavors along with the colors? Just something to ponder!
Regards,
Chris