PDA

View Full Version : Shrinking Syrup?

bprifle01
03-27-2016, 07:28 AM
This was my first year ever attempting to make maple syrup. I learned a lot from this forum and had a blast making my little 6l of syrup, but now I have a problem keeping my syrup from shrinking away to nothing in a matter of a few days after opening a bottle! Sometimes in less than a day!! My wife says it's the frost free freezer I put it in, it's evaporating. My kids tell me there's a syrup gremlin in the house that is stealing it. I think there must be some other factor at work here. What could it be?

This is all in jest.:lol: I know where my syrup is disappearing to and am happy to know that the family thinks it's good enough to want to use it. Just wish it wasn't at such a fast rate. My syrup wont last past April if their not a little conservative. Oh well, I guess that's what I made it for.

Russell Lampron
03-27-2016, 07:37 AM
The solution to your problem is to tap more trees and make more syrup. It won't stop the shrinking away to nothing problem but it will make it last longer before it completely disappears.

psparr
03-27-2016, 07:38 AM
Don't make maple nuts then. It will seem like you never made any.

bprifle01
03-27-2016, 07:50 AM
The solution to your problem is to tap more trees and make more syrup. It won't stop the shrinking away to nothing problem but it will make it last longer before it completely disappears.I would think that with more syrup, the shrinking problem would increase a like proportion!

Russell Lampron
03-27-2016, 07:51 AM
Don't make maple nuts then. It will seem like you never made any.

Don't make maple cream or maple butter either! The maple butter is extremely hard to keep in the fridge.

Russell Lampron
03-27-2016, 07:56 AM
I would think that with more syrup, the shrinking problem would increase a like proportion!

You are probably right! As you find more things to make with it and more ways to use it it becomes harder to keep it from disappearing. I just enjoyed a bagel with my maple butter on it for breakfast, my wife is baking a maple syrup glazed ham for Easter dinner and I had maple baked beans for dinner Friday. Come to think of it I had ice cream with maple syrup on it Friday night too.

Hannah
03-27-2016, 08:11 AM
Aahhh, the sap Gremlins are in Wisconsin also!!!

I have only found one solution to this phenomenon, tap more more trees and buy/build more efficient equipment and feed the monster your creating. Will the Gremlins multiply and consume more syrup? Of course they will, that's why you will have to tap even more trees and invest into even more equipment. My hope is my Gremlins produce even more Gremlins (in many, many years) that love mapling as much as we do now and it turns into a generational monster!!! So, my advice FEED THE MONSTER

chuckwagon
03-27-2016, 08:46 AM
Them gremlins must be everywhere,my supply is disappearing also,not that I had that much to begin with,my first year also,all the candy I made is gone,my nephews tried it yesterday and decided they really liked it,after giving some syrup away I have about half a quart left,going under lock key.as mentioned,more taps next year.

bprifle01
03-27-2016, 08:50 AM
Aahhh, the sap Gremlins are in Wisconsin also!!!

I have only found one solution to this phenomenon, tap more more trees and buy/build more efficient equipment and feed the monster your creating. So, my advice FEED THE MONSTERI guess you're right. I'm already looking around at my neighbors yards for more trees to tap next year!

Hannah
03-27-2016, 09:04 AM
I guess you're right. I'm already looking around at my neighbors yards for more trees to tap next year!

There's no hope for you now! You have been bitten and are infected for life. Now, every maple tree you see you will be sizing it up and determining how many taps you can put in it.

bprifle01
03-27-2016, 09:49 AM
There's no hope for you now! You have been bitten and are infected for life. Now, every maple tree you see you will be sizing it up and determining how many taps you can put in it.Yup! I'm there now.

maple maniac65
03-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Shrinking syrup adds up to expansion, equals a shrinking wallet and many visits to the shrink to ask why.

Cedar Eater
03-27-2016, 10:23 AM
In case you're thinking that you can sap their enthusiasm for consuming your maple products by requiring the gremlins to participate in the hard work of making them, good luck. That only increases their appetite for the finished products, as if they think they deserve a reward for helping. With the younger ones, you might be able to shake them down for some cash to buy supplies, but don't try that with the head gremlin. Not if you know what's good for you. ;)

Russell Lampron
03-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Shrinking syrup adds up to expansion, equals a shrinking wallet and many visits to the shrink to ask why.

If you do it right you can have all of the stainless goodies and vacuum and RO and stuff and actually see the wallet expand in stead of shrink.

seandicare
03-27-2016, 11:43 AM
i kinda wish i had your problem....i am the only one in the house that likes the stuff.....the kids rather the nasty artificial store stuff, and the boss doesn't eat much to put it on to begin with........heck i had a quart from last year that is still probably half full in the fridge

Russell Lampron
03-27-2016, 12:12 PM
i kinda wish i had your problem....i am the only one in the house that likes the stuff.....the kids rather the nasty artificial store stuff, and the boss doesn't eat much to put it on to begin with........heck i had a quart from last year that is still probably half full in the fridge

Between what my wife and I have used for making confections and what we have eaten we have used more than 2 gallons this month. When I first started making syrup my kids still preferred the fake stuff. We just stopped buying it and told them that they were to eat the real stuff or nothing. Now they won't touch the fake stuff!

1arch
03-27-2016, 01:34 PM
Sounds like the need for an exorcism. Splash them with sap whenever they are unsuspecting.
Infuse syrup into food products when not looking. And I'm sure the faithful Mapletraders will also keep you in their thought too!