PDA

View Full Version : Foaming over dividers

maplemas
03-26-2016, 08:01 PM
I'm having trouble keeping the front pan from foaming over the dividers .. I'm running 8% concentrate , front pan is at 1 1/2-13/4 deep and currently drawing off fancy syrup.. I've tried Defoamer but it only last 2 minutes.. Should I just let them blend ?

sugarman3
03-26-2016, 08:07 PM
Pup a couple more drop in back pan and a couple more drops where the sap from back pan enters front pan.We fire every 4 min and put 2-4 drops in back pan and 2-4 drops where back pan enters front pan

Moser's Maple
03-26-2016, 08:54 PM
It's just that time of year. BTW if your making NY syrup it's not fancy....it's golden delicate taste

motowbrowne
03-26-2016, 09:03 PM
It's just that time of year. BTW if your making NY syrup it's not fancy....it's golden delicate taste

Just when everyone gets the hang of what to call the stuff they go and change all the names around.

Regarding the OP's question, though, I've had the same problem before. I asked another sugar maker what he does about the foam in the front pan. He said "put defoamer in it". I said, "I'm already doing that". He said, " then put more defoamer in it."

I try to limit my use of defoamer, but if my front pan is getting toward the top of the dividers, I do what needs to be done to control it. I don't care so much about blending, but I really don't want to scorch my pan.

maplemas
03-26-2016, 10:36 PM
Thanks adding a couple drops on both sides of the flue pan seems to be taking care of it

CampHamp
03-26-2016, 11:12 PM
People used to drape bacon over the edges of their boiling pots. For the past two years, I've been draping filter paper saturated with safflower oil over my front pan's center divider. It works best placed all the way to the back so the bubble flow moves the oil forward.

Russell Lampron
03-27-2016, 05:52 AM
People used to drape bacon over the edges of their boiling pots. For the past two years, I've been draping filter paper saturated with safflower oil over my front pan's center divider. It works best placed all the way to the back so the bubble flow moves the oil forward.

Funny that you should mention that. My grandfather used to hang a piece of salt pork over the flue pan.