PDA

View Full Version : Tanaka transfer pump problems

bison1973
03-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I have a 1" Tanaka transfer pump that I use to pump sap from collection tanks to my transport trailer. Last season it worked fine. This year it won't suck the sap enough to get it to the pump. The only way I can get it to work is to fill the intake hose completely with sap and then put it in the collection tank. That's the only way I can get it to pump. Last season all you had to do was put the intake hose into the tank and it would work fine.

Any ideas as to what is wrong/ and how to fix it?

Mike
03-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Take your pump housing apart,Mine did the same thing...It was full of stuff...Worked fine after it was cleaned...I put quick releace connection on mine also....Helps prevent air leaks.....

maplehound
03-14-2007, 09:14 PM
I have always had to let my 2 cycle trasfer pumps prime before they would pump. We have always attached them to a valve at the botttom of the tanks so the pump gets a natural prime. Your pump might have just worn in a little and that just may be the way it will have to be. Is there a primeing hole on top of the pump? You may have to fill that eachh time to get it to work.

powerdub
03-14-2007, 09:15 PM
I had one of those once. Mine had a plastic screw cap on the pump housing and the rubber gasket dried out and cracked. It would prime a lot easier but it never just sucked sap without a little prime first.

brookledge
03-15-2007, 09:08 AM
When it does begin pumping does it leak from the input shaft? Could be that the seal around the shaft is worn and sucking air so that it won't pull a prime.
Keith