PDA

View Full Version : How long before a tap hole dries out?

Jolly Acres Farm
03-26-2016, 08:02 AM
My question is how long does it take a tap hole to dry up/out/heal on a healthy tree.

I tapped my trees 20 days ago. Yesterday Since we finally got good sap weather and last week I pulled the taps on my silvers and reds I decided to tap some more sugars.
I put in 26 new taps all on sugars in my woods bush. All 26 were flowing like a river when drilled and taps put in.:mrgreen: Some of them were within steps of others that were already tapped. The ones that were tapped 20 days ago ranged from NO SAP to some sap, totaling 91 trees. In about 2 hours after tapping the 26 new taps, they have approximately as much total sap as the total of all 91 prior tapped trees. :confused:

What could likely explain this????

DrTimPerkins
03-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Tapholes for buckets will flow well for 2-4 weeks, progressively slowing down as microbes clog up the vessels. Depends on the weather. Microbial action is faster in warm weather. Good spout sanitation helps as well.

Jolly Acres Farm
03-26-2016, 08:32 AM
Tapholes for buckets will flow well for 2-4 weeks, progressively slowing down as microbes clog up the vessels. Depends on the weather. Microbial action is faster in warm weather. Good spout sanitation helps as well.

Thank you Dr. Tim for your answer. This is what I was thinking, but was not sure. I'm quite OCD on sanitation and use stainless spouts.

madmapler
03-26-2016, 04:42 PM
The really warm spell we had a few weeks ago coupled with unseasonably warm weather in general has seriously dried things up for me. Even with decent freezes I'm getting about 1/3 of what I feel I should. Even with check valves, new lines, and vacuum it's almost not worth it any longer.