PDA

View Full Version : Smokey lake water jacketed bottler review...RUST and more!

zandstrafarms
03-25-2016, 01:06 PM
let me first start off by saying that this bottler did its job. We got the unit with the filtering tray in it, and we used 10 pre filters and one synthetic filter at the bottom. The resulting syrup came out Crystal Clear unlike any we have ever done.

But...

Second round of using it I noticed it was leaking where the spigot screws in. I tightened it again, no big deal. But it happened again after 3rd use. This time is so bad I can't get the spigot to line up correctly. Don't know why its loose, maybe the changing temps?

Second problem:
After washing out my filters in hot water, I carfully lay the prefilters back into the tray. They were lightly damp and I wanted them to form to the inside tray shape.
Few hours later I picked them up to put a new heavy filter under them and was shocked at the rust.

Stainless should not be rusting! Especially something designed to be damp or wet!

Third problem: stopped working. No joke, it would Not heat the water! Found out the CHEAP plastic dial had somehow stripped so now we had no idea what v temp it really was. Took an HOUR to finally get to temp. I seriously don't know if this unit will last 2 years. We are careful with our stuff so no damage from us.

I'm really disappointed we spent so much on this dumb unit. Contacted smokey lake and got the "we ll look into it" answer.

Way overpriced, not worth the $$$$$

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
03-25-2016, 03:24 PM
good luck and keep us informed how things go for you

Jason Grimm
03-25-2016, 07:51 PM
Good to know, I was thinking about purchasing one of these units and I will wait and see how they fix this before making a purchase.

mapledavefarm
03-25-2016, 07:53 PM
Wow, what a shame. Please keep us posted.

devils11217
03-25-2016, 08:16 PM
I had the same rusting issue with filter bottler unit. Jim contacted me and says he will mail me a new tray. We shall see. Very disappointed in this unit and the price i paid. I wish i got my money back and purchased a filter press instead

mapledavefarm
03-25-2016, 09:43 PM
Did you ask for your money back?

MaxJ
03-26-2016, 05:36 AM
WOW! That really has a rust stain after a short period of time, I hope you get the problem resolved quickly as it's important that the company steps up and resolves this now instead of later. Makes one wonder what else they're producing that isn't quality?

Stainless comes in many grades and 304 is the most commonly used grade in the industry. Easy test is just hold a magnet to the mesh, if it sticks it might be a 400 series stainless which drops the quality down a whole lot, the frame looks like there isn't any staining and is probably 304.
The only reason I say this is that I had a scrap yard and dealing with thousands of tons of stainless over the years one learns what is and what isn't stainless.
Stainless will rust if scratched, and some product (as screws and stamped items) will draw a magnet slightly but not a direct attachment of the magnet.

Super Sapper
03-26-2016, 05:47 AM
It looks like his supplier got some cheaper overseas stainless for the expanded. I have seen this where I work a few times, you never really know what is in the steel if you get it from China. I would think that Jim will take care of you.

madmapler
03-26-2016, 06:35 AM
It looks like his supplier got some cheaper overseas stainless for the expanded. I have seen this where I work a few times, you never really know what is in the steel if you get it from China. I would think that Jim will take care of you. That's what I'm thinking. More Chinese junk. You can't avoid it anymore.

mapledavefarm
03-26-2016, 04:07 PM
let me first start off by saying that this bottler did its job. We got the unit with the filtering tray in it, and we used 10 pre filters and one synthetic filter at the bottom. The resulting syrup came out Crystal Clear unlike any we have ever done.

But...

Second round of using it I noticed it was leaking where the spigot screws in. I tightened it again, no big deal. But it happened again after 3rd use. This time is so bad I can't get the spigot to line up correctly. Don't know why its loose, maybe the changing temps?

Second problem:
After washing out my filters in hot water, I carfully lay the prefilters back into the tray. They were lightly damp and I wanted them to form to the inside tray shape.
Few hours later I picked them up to put a new heavy filter under them and was shocked at the rust.

Stainless should not be rusting! Especially something designed to be damp or wet!

Third problem: stopped working. No joke, it would Not heat the water! Found out the CHEAP plastic dial had somehow stripped so now we had no idea what v temp it really was. Took an HOUR to finally get to temp. I seriously don't know if this unit will last 2 years. We are careful with our stuff so no damage from us.

I'm really disappointed we spent so much on this dumb unit. Contacted smokey lake and got the "we ll look into it" answer.

Way overpriced, not worth the $$$$$

If you don't get your burner fixed you can buy a black one for 100 dollars less. http://www.target.com/p/bayou-classic-outdoor-patio-stove-black/-/A-14525615?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Patio%2BGarden%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Patio%2BGarden&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=1019310&gclid=CP64zcif38sCFYsAaQod5kwJLg&gclsrc=aw.ds Smokey lake uses this same burner but painted silver. I believe they charge 150.oo for their bayou stand.

devils11217
03-28-2016, 11:16 AM
Did you ask for your money back?

No i didnt, i am sure he would want his Bottler back and i am not going through the hassle of boxing and shipping that thing.. It would cost me more money

palmer4th
03-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Well not sure why your having that problem, just finished my first full year with the steam canner aND works great. 35 gallons of syrup have gone through it. I looked yesterday after reading your post, and mine still looks nice and shinny.