PDA

View Full Version : Is Producing Syrup Worth It For Us?

CayugaTrace
03-23-2016, 09:09 PM
Hi Maple Trader Community!

My partner and I have recently started to look at what to do with his families farm in upstate New York (finger lakes region) and were recently told we should look into tapping our sugar maple trees. The farm is now a fallow apple orchard, and while we are still looking into what we want to do with the other 60 acres (ideas on that welcome too!), the 40 acres of hardwoods and sugar maple seem like a good starting point.

According to the last survey we have, we are looking at sugar maple trees being the second most populous tree in the forest. I've done a little bit of research on what it would take but would love your opinion of whether or not it would be a profitable venture for us to start.

Hobby wise, I know we would get super into it, but it would have to bring us at least a little money.

We were also thinking of doing some type of wedding venue on the remaining acreage (we already have the client base, so it's an easy next step) and know guests would love little bottles of maple syrup produced on sight, so that is something to consider.

Thanks for any guidance you have!

Ghs57
03-23-2016, 09:24 PM
With 40 acres, you could have a significant operation, but it's going to take some money, work and commitment. If you have made syrup before, you'll have an idea. If not, visit some locals producers and ask questions, even volunteer to help for a day and see what it's all about. If you would rather focus on your other options, lease your trees and include syrup in the terms.

I'm a hobby producer currently, but i'm sure others will have some ideas. Wish I had 40 acres!

Atgreene
03-24-2016, 07:10 AM
I wouldn't go into it with any plans on making money. If it isn't something you enjoy, find something else to do, payback is a long way off.

saphound
03-24-2016, 08:02 AM
Are you living there now, or plan to live there? These guys are right..all the equipment is pretty expensive. I would start small. Tap a dozen or two trees and make a few gallons on a propane burner or block arch with hotel pans...something not too much money. You'll know as you go along if you like doing it and if it makes sense to go bigger.

325abn
03-24-2016, 08:17 AM
"worth it" Is subjective! It's worth it to me because what would I do this time of the year if we didn't do maple? "Sappin aint easy! " :)

Big_Eddy
03-24-2016, 09:36 AM
What's your definition of worth it?
What's your labour "cost"?

A Very Basic Business Case
Worth it = Revenue minus Expenses

Revenue - planning numbers
1qt / litre per tap per season
$20 a qt retail, a lot less wholesale.
i.e every 1000 trees = ~$20K in revenue IF you have a market for it and can sell it all retail.

Expenses
Equipment
Labour
Fuel
Overhead

You need to define "worth it" then decide how many trees you need to tap to get to that level and what payback period you would expect.

You can easily make "at least a little money" making maple syrup if you don't account for the equipment and your own labour - no question about that. How much depends on a lot of factors.

michael marrs
03-24-2016, 09:42 AM
as a job? prolly not. but I would have you to consider, a " hobby" for one season. Take 8-10 trees, tap them and have some fun. not really a lot in investment, and really quite a rewarding return, then see next season

BlueberryHill
03-24-2016, 09:50 AM
You might consider tapping your trees and selling your sap to start. If you can find a producer close by that will strike a deal with you. You deliver the sap and typically they will give you 50% of the syrup they make with the sap. Then, if that goes smoothly, and you find that you can manage that part of the operation, as well as selling your syrup, you can use the profits from that to invest in a building and equipment to process the sap yourself. It's a way to dip your toes in and see what making syrup is all about without laying out a bunch of cash on equipment. If the lay of your land is good and you can use the 3/16 gravity setup then you could get a lot of sap for a small amount of money invested in taps and tubing.

rayi
03-24-2016, 10:07 AM
I run a little less than 400 taps. One year I kept track of how many hours I spent on sugaring including travel and wood chopping. When it was all done and said it was less than 3 dollars an hour I made. But in reality I needed to keep the woods cleaned up, it was great exercise and I can't imagine a spring without sugaring

BAP
03-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Sugaring, Apple Orchard and Wedding venue could make a great combination. There is an Apple/peach/plum orchard in my town that also has a large banquet hall that they do fairly high end weddings. Summer and fall people have their wedding service outside in a large gazebo. Maybe hire a tubing installer consultant to come an and do an assessment of your woods to see what your tapping potential is and cost to tube it and equipment needed to give you some real numbers to work with.

Cedar Eater
03-24-2016, 11:48 AM
Are the apples eating apples, pie apples, or juice apples? Building a sugar house that can double for making cider or canning gourmet apple sauce or pie filling will help with the economics. The trick to cutting expenses and making a seasonal business work is getting the right mix of synergies. If there are plenty of other sugar makers in the area, you might not want to add more competition. If not, you might catch a lot of the tourists from the local wine tours, morel hunters, fall foliage followers, etc. Rural seasonal tourism is notoriously flaky but people do make a living at it by being flexible and competing in the right niches. The advice to get a good maple consultant seems like a very good one.

Burnt sap
03-24-2016, 01:00 PM
No, Next question. :cool:

maple flats
03-25-2016, 08:07 AM
Caution, Making maple syrup is addictive! stop right now, before you start or you'll never get out. On the other hand, as you get into it, making syrup will consume all your time and it is great exercise. While it is hard to make a profit until the equipment has been mostly written off, you do get a decent cash flow, and on 40 acres of mostly maples you would certainly produce enough to get to far over the $10,000 average yearly gross sales to qualify for an Ag assessment to lower the taxes substantially, in fact, likely less than 5 acres could do that if most was sold in those nice little wedding favor bottles.

Cedar Eater
03-25-2016, 09:35 AM
Caution, Making maple syrup is addictive! stop right now, before you start or you'll never get out. On the other hand, as you get into it, making syrup will consume all your time and it is great exercise. While it is hard to make a profit until the equipment has been mostly written off, you do get a decent cash flow, and on 40 acres of mostly maples you would certainly produce enough to get to far over the $10,000 average yearly gross sales to qualify for an Ag assessment to lower the taxes substantially, in fact, likely less than 5 acres could do that if most was sold in those nice little wedding favor bottles.

You make a good point, maple flats. Much of the economics of rural seasonal tourism is more profitable if you learn how to work the advantages and incentives that governments offer. Tax breaks, grants, and exceptions to normal regulation are worth researching. Local governments are generally more of a burden than a blessing, but state governments generally try to encourage small businesses.