PDA

View Full Version : 4% sugar?!

ADK_XJ
03-22-2016, 10:42 PM
I just re-tapped a stand of mature sugars after the weather cooled out here and I'm getting a steady 4 percent sugar content on my new refractometer...am I reading this right? See picture:

Ontario Ian
03-23-2016, 04:10 AM
yup. 4%.some trees have more some are less, you can calibrate it using distilled water and set it to zero.

MaxJ
03-23-2016, 05:35 AM
I used a new refractometer out of the box and had reading, then I zero'd it with distilled water as it showed 1 then I took the reading again. Not sure how often one should recalibrate with distilled water?

SeanD
03-23-2016, 05:53 AM
The more important question is - How did you take that picture? Is it as easy as putting your phone up to the eyepiece?

Wanabe1972
03-23-2016, 06:16 AM
I bought a new refractometer this year and seems like I have to calibrate it every time I use it. It sits on the dash of my truck as a paper weight and I stick to my hydrometer. My sugar has been creeping back up after each freeze so I'm sure 4 is possible. Jeff

Urban Sugarmaker
03-23-2016, 07:30 AM
I bought a new refractometer this year and seems like I have to calibrate it every time I use it. It sits on the dash of my truck as a paper weight and I stick to my hydrometer. My sugar has been creeping back up after each freeze so I'm sure 4 is possible. Jeff

I have one of those $25 ones like the one shown in the picture by the OP. I have to calibrate mine every day and sometimes more often. I don't think the automatic temperature compensation on these is all that great. When it's calibrated it does match my sap hydrometer closely. Otherwise it's off my as much as 0.5% which does make a difference.

Atgreene
03-23-2016, 07:43 AM
We have trees that routinely run 7%. Roadside or field maples are great for high sugar content. That, and sugarbushes that have been thinned. 2.5-3% is our average due to years of thinning and selecting.

Burnt sap
03-23-2016, 10:13 AM
All though I have never had 4% from my trees I guess I would double check it just to see. And if it's correct tap every tree you can :cool:

ADK_XJ
03-23-2016, 07:35 PM
The more important question is - How did you take that picture? Is it as easy as putting your phone up to the eyepiece?
Yup, that's exactly what I did...

ADK_XJ
03-23-2016, 07:37 PM
I have one of those $25 ones like the one shown in the picture by the OP. I have to calibrate mine every day and sometimes more often. I don't think the automatic temperature compensation on these is all that great. When it's calibrated it does match my sap hydrometer closely. Otherwise it's off my as much as 0.5% which does make a difference.
Maybe I'll try a recalibration - mine is one of the $25 models but I read they are fairly accurate. Still showing 3.5-4% as of this evening.

ADK_XJ
03-23-2016, 07:38 PM
We have trees that routinely run 7%. Roadside or field maples are great for high sugar content. That, and sugarbushes that have been thinned. 2.5-3% is our average due to years of thinning and selecting.
Most of out acreage is on former farm fields but at least 100-150 years fallow according to the county sawyer I had in this Fall. I have a number of very mature maples that he suggested were easily 100+ years old and well above the lower canopy...they're also the ones cranking out 4+ percent...

Atgreene
03-23-2016, 09:08 PM
Is it a sugar maple? We only tap sugar maples, which contributes to our higher than average sugar content. 4,5,6 & 7% is pretty common on our larger roadside and field trees.

bowtie
03-23-2016, 09:12 PM
My few yard trees routinely run at least 3 percent and I one mature tree that has a big canopy that I measured at 5.3 one year , this year it running right about 4 percent give or take a couple tenths depending on the day. Yard or field trees usually, Run higher sugar than woods trees, they generally have more nutrients available to them.

ADK_XJ
03-24-2016, 09:03 PM
Is it a sugar maple? We only tap sugar maples, which contributes to our higher than average sugar content. 4,5,6 & 7% is pretty common on our larger roadside and field trees.

Yes, sugar maple. I've predominantly tapped the sugars this year. I have yet to do any real clearing around my trees, so look forward to significantly increased output and growth when I start making selective cuts around the younger maples.