PDA

View Full Version : Need sum advise

Baker
03-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Hello all.so the sap is running like crazy here.having tuff time keeping up.my question is Im going to have 160 gal collected and stored today from the last 2 days.would it be better to do it in 2 seperate batches?or just 1 big boil?if I do it all in one .will it make the syrup alot darker?thank you in advance for any advice.

Run Forest Run!
03-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Hi Baker. If you make one large batch it will be darker than two making two batches. Will it be "a lot" darker? That's hard to quantify. The longer the sap is over the heat, the more colour it will take on.

Big_Eddy
03-22-2016, 11:34 AM
All depends on your boiling arrangement. I'm assuming you have no ability for a continuous flow.

Keep your sap depth as low as possible and add sap gradually to maximize efficiency. When your whole pot / pan is approaching syrup at your "standard" depth, take it off and finish that batch and start the next batch. Don't increase depth to make a bigger batch, just choose a depth and stick as close to it as you can until it gets to syrup, then start again.

Keep your sap separate and cold and roughly in order of age. If you're still falling behind, dump the oldest jug and boil the next one in line. We all hate to dump sap, but if you run out of storage / can't keep up, better to lose the oldest than the freshest.

Maple Man 85
03-22-2016, 12:00 PM
Drink lots of coffee and run your rig wide open! I'm doing the same thing... what I did to keep continuous flow on a flat pan was to put a 40 gallon ploy drum with a ball valve and 5/16 line to the back corner of the pan, at least if I fall asleep the pan wont run dry.:D

Maple Man 85

Baker
03-22-2016, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the advise guys.ended up with 200 gal.can only boil for 8 hrs today.cuz wife works nights.and kids have school tomorrow.but going to try and boil 18 hrs tomorrow.wish I had continous flow.I just use my turkey cooker for a warming pot.then and a full pot every 30 min or so.bout 10 gph.on my 2x4 flat pan.

Maple Man 85
03-22-2016, 06:23 PM
Another option would be if there is another producer close by you could sell the sap (provided you have a way to transport it).

woodey24
03-23-2016, 01:51 AM
Having too much sap sounds like a good problem to have, wish I had that problem....lol