PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the season is done

VerHageFamily
03-21-2016, 11:43 AM
Well, I got a late start for my first year. This hobby may become more addicting than hunting or fishing. We ending up only tapping a Norway Maple in my backyard (Silver already budded by the time I tapped and no sap ran) even though I marked a few sugar maples on my grandfathers property in Orange County NY. I will definitely tap more trees next year. My backyard backs up to the rear of an elementary school and they have already approached my wife and I if we can incorporate maple syruping into a lesson for the kids next year. In return we can tap the school trees (They have a wooded section) and they are going to try to get grant money to pay for more supplies for us. Whatever we need. I already know I need a second burner. I only have a turkey fryer. and my buy a double burner. Fortunately one of my family businesses in sheet metal and I plan on making a pan for next year.

As far as the syrup. I hope next year to have more sap so I can try and boil longer. My wife and I were afraid to burn the little we had (only collected 7 1/2 gallons in 3 days). It tastes good, but when is went to a rapid boil and started to foam we stopped thinking we were burning it. Hopefully next year was can explore a little more.

This year was an awesome learning experience and I can see this getting expensive.

5050racing
03-21-2016, 07:42 PM
Great to see you found a anther family US all of us here are here to help each other,my Dad taught science and would bring my sap almost finished to school n boil with the kids 7th,8th grade. That was 40+ yrs ago?it's a great project for all. You really missed the time to tap this year every year is a challenge when to,but keep reading post on here and you can learn a lot that's how I learned most of what I know today! Lots of help here just ask! Welcome to the site,now is a great time to get stuff for next year ready you won't believe how fast next year comes.

5050racing
03-21-2016, 07:48 PM
As far as expense not really as long as your a little bit handy and with the school next door have them help with making some of the equipment like if they have a welding shop you have it made,or you ask for help here,I have welded many parts for friends near me.Look at the forum homemade stuff lots of good ideas,everyone here makes something they use no matter what size sugarer they are!!