PDA

View Full Version : New Leader Half-Pint extension kit and "Supreme" pan

ADK_XJ
03-21-2016, 10:51 AM
I'd heard whispers of Leader making a move toward more hobby products but couldn't find clear or consistent info. Decided to go old school and give them a call (what an idea) and here's the details they gave me:

- the kit for the Half-pint is known officially as the "Half-Pint Arch Extension Kit" (catchy) and not the "Supreme" or "Extreme" Kit as I've read elsewhere
- the kit attaches to the back of the standard Half-pint by removing the back panel and a few bricks, it essentially doubles the evaporator's capacity...this kit is $185
- there's a corresponding hybrid pan which IS called the "Supreme Pan"...there is a center channel with "micro-flues" that drop approx 4" (although I also read 6" elsewhere) and purportedly double the rate of evaporation to 8gph
- the pan can be ordered to replace the flat pan on standard Half-pints ($385 I believe was the upgrade cost) or ordered with the extension to create an almost 2x6 evaporator (standalone pan price is $800-something)

I'm told the Rutland store has 1 model at least in stock and there is an open house coming up in April. The other place I see this kit referenced is over at the "Maple Madness" site.

Personally, I'm thinking maybe I can find a used half-pint for next season as I go to 50 taps and then know that I have the option for an extension if I go up over 100 taps in subsequent years. I'm trying to figure if this "Supreme Pan" is worth $800+ when you could possibly buy a Smoky Lake or Mason standalone.

All in all this is very encouraging to see more hobby oriented products. It's good for us and good for interest in maple production in general. Kudos to Leader.

Bucket Head
03-21-2016, 04:11 PM
The manufacturers are trying to get the DIY-er's of the world to buy some entry-level equipment that's already made. CDL has a small hobby set-up that looks similar to an oil tank unit. It's in their new catalog. And I think they offer steam/hotel pans now too(?). I saw them also, somewhere.

ADK_XJ
03-21-2016, 08:03 PM
Well, right. Which is a nice development for someone like me who doesn't quite have the know-how or resources to knock together heavy angle-iron but wants to move beyond a block arch without taking out a loan. And having the option to expand with the # of taps I have is not just a nice option but very smart product development. I'm sold.

Now for a used half-pint...

bowhunter
03-22-2016, 07:44 AM
Bascom's has all this 1/2 pint stuff in their new catalogue.