PDA

View Full Version : question on mainline and gravity

KReinisch
03-21-2016, 10:35 AM
Here is the scenario... I have a piece of woods tapped right now and I have 3/16 running into 55 gallon drums. This has been good but we have been very lucky with not having snow so I have been able to drive in and collect. The question I have is...The upper part of this property has a good slope but the bottom flattens out. We were thinking of running a mainline from top to bottom. Its probably 1000ft. The first 500ft has about 100ft drop, and the last 500ft is pretty flat. If I keep a little slope in the line will the push from above carry that sap? I would love to know if anyone has a similar situation.

Thank you!

psparr
03-21-2016, 12:17 PM
You'll need to have enough slope to drain the line. If not, it will freeze and you won't get any sap until it feels like thawing. Also during a warm up it will spoil in the line.

ttowle3
03-28-2016, 08:10 PM
i think itd work yeah. 100 ft elevation should give it quite a push.

wurmdert
03-29-2016, 05:30 PM
As said above I would want the whole system to drain itself. The upper sap will definitly push the lower sap, but eventually there is no upper sap and the lower sap is stuck, then frozen or spoiled. It only takes 1 to 2% slope to have gravity flow. Maybe instead of running the mainline all the way to the bottom before you go across the lowlands you can come off the hill further up to make the slope you need. It may be a little way up in the air for a bit but better than alternative.

Atgreene
03-29-2016, 08:46 PM
3% slope on non vacuum mainline, minimum.