PDA

View Full Version : New to line and possible problems

jrako724
03-21-2016, 09:15 AM
My brother and i are experimenting this year and installed our first main line with about 57 taps on it. We have noticed that the 3/4 main line is very full of sap all the time and were wondering if that is supposed to be ? Also, We ran electrict fence wire as the wire to hold up the main line but are scared its going to brea if we tighten it more, has anyone used that or should we run new wire thats stronger to get rid of the sag? We have several small "dips" in the line and would like them eliminated.
Also, does anyone know someone who has experience running line in the Central Wisconsin area? somewhere around Rapids who might be willing to drop by and give us some pointers and show us our mistakes? We would like to put all our taps on lines in the next few years cause our sugarbush is in a very low lying area and we'd like to not slog through mud lol. Thanks for all the help

rhwells2003
03-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Your mains shouldn't have sap pooling in them. If your main is full and are running vacuum, your vacuum wont travel through the full sap line to get to your taps. Also it'll take so much longer after a freeze for a 3/4" line to thaw out then it does your 5/16 or 3/16 lines.

The way I've set up a couple woods is run 12 gauge wire where I want my mains to run. I connect the ends to good trees with either an anchor bolt directly into the tree, or a wrap around the tree. I also utilize a tensioner at both ends, and tension as tight as I can with those. Even though its as tight as you can get out of the tensioners it still sags and gets pulled against trees along your run. You then go through with 16 gauge wire and do "side ties". This consists of wraping the 16 gauge wire around the 12 gauge wire once, and then wrapping the 16 gauge around itself a few times, then pulling your 12 gauge wire and wrapping the 16 gauge wire around a tree, and then reconnecting to the 12 gauge wire. Do this at places where your 12 gauge wire is pulled against trees, or where there are sags in the line. Try to avoid the back and forth look with your main through the woods. You want a nice smooth main out through the woods for the sap to travel. Once you have your wire all fine tuned then attach your mainline tubing to it using wire ties. I try to attach a wire tie every 12-15". You'll find even though your wire was good and tight before attaching the tubing you'll have sags after attaching the tubing. Just add more side ties where ever necessary.

The nice thing about the side ties too it gives your line play. If a tree or branch comes down on it the side tights will just bounce or will slide down the trees they're wrapped around and you'll avoid some damage that way. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this way works well for us.

rhwells2003
03-21-2016, 10:15 AM
I also try to run my mains at a 4% minimum slope. Also the side ties instead of having your 16 gauge wire directly against the tree your pulling against, slide your wire through a piece of 5/16 tubing just to protect the tree.

jrako724
03-21-2016, 11:45 AM
Thanks so far :). i think the problem is in large part the side ties. If we side tied the main line the bows would go away. Maybe this weekend I can play with it some if its still running. All ideas are welcome. i'm still interested in seeing if someone would want to drop in and check it over. Was also thinking. How do you finish a 5/16 line on the end? We have no idea how much tension that line can take or how much it should take. I dont want to pull a tap out but would love to add tension to them. The main line is pretty straight right now but I'd add side tensioners if needed but I will need to adjust the lateral lines accordingly.