PDA

View Full Version : Concentrate nearup grade

Mikemartin274
03-20-2016, 02:21 PM
Boiled a few gallons so far this year. All syrup has been dark grade b. I've only gotten 250 gallons sap so far this year. I've pulled the nearup out cleaned pan after three boils. Fourth boil produced another gallon of grade b. I would like to get some light syrup this year. I've asked around but no answers as of yet. My question is it possible to get grade a syrup using the same nearup that made grade b? Can continuous flow pan produce grade b and later in the boil produce grade a. Have you ever done this? The sap flow has not been great so I've been using the nearup from boil to boil so I can get a draw off with less than 100 gallons. Next week looks promising hopefully enough sap re sweeten the pans and get a draw off before it's over. Should I boil nearup all the way down and start over to get a lighter grade syrup? Looking forward to reading your knowledgeable replies.

325abn
03-20-2016, 02:47 PM
Other than proper sap handling, not much you can do about color. We gets what mother gives us!

CampHamp
03-20-2016, 03:15 PM
The sap flow has not been great so I've been using the nearup from boil to boil so I can get a draw off with less than 100 gallons.
Late in the season, when trees come out of dormancy, their sap will usually create darker syrup. Trees can be pushed back into dormancy with late freezes (like we have now) and that can lighten-up the color. Less time your syrup boils, lighter the color will be, so by tossing your nearup back in the next pot of sap, you are making it darker than it would otherwise be...