PDA

View Full Version : building cupola into existing roof

dhbiker1
03-13-2007, 05:31 PM
I am using an old chicken coup on our property as a sugarhouse, it is about 10x12, maybe 9 ft at the top with gentle sloping roof (aluminum). This summer I am residing it, getting new windows, and plan on building a cupola about 4'L x 2'h. I am going to build it directly into the rafters cutting the area out of the existing roofing. My question is what will be the best way to seal where the cupola meets the roofing. Also, I was wondering if anyone knows any websites or has any plans for cupolas. Thanks

royalmaple
03-13-2007, 06:53 PM
You can buy the sugarhouse plans from the UVM extension. I think they are only a few dollars, very good detail and helps show the framing for a cupola. I don't know if I have any good shots of the cupola being framed, but it is not too bad if you have a hand doing it(that would have been nice).

You can start by framing in collar ties to your existing rafters, then you can frame your studs right off those collar ties, then just basic framing. I'm not sure how well versed you are in framing, but the plans will help.

softmaple
03-13-2007, 07:33 PM
check out jamaica cottage shop, they have some plans for sale and sample plans too.

TapME
03-13-2007, 07:53 PM
have you tried to see a sugar house in your area? You may be able to copy one of thiers.

RileySugarbush
03-13-2007, 08:51 PM
That is just what I was doing today, remarkably (and sadly) in shirtsleeves. I am turning an old camp bunk house into a sugar house. I cut a hole in the roof with a carbide circular saw. There were 2 layers of asphalt shingles over 3/4" pine roof boards. I made four 2x4 frames and attached them to the now exposed rafters. The end frames were sheathed in plywood. I'll add stepped flashing and then siding to seal that to the existing shingles. At the bottom of the long sides, under the door hinges, I nailed some aluminum flashing from home depot. That plus the roof overhang should keep me dry.

Here are the before photos. I'll take some of the framing and flashing tomorrow.

325abn
03-13-2007, 08:52 PM
The chickens were'nt in the rafters were they?

maple flats
03-13-2007, 08:58 PM
I think 325 might have a good point. Chickens carry a lot of disease and bacteria, can you sanitise the old chicken coop good enough to do maple? I'm not sure.
Good luck,
Dave

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-13-2007, 09:21 PM
And don't tell other people it was a chicken coup.

dhbiker1
03-14-2007, 05:20 AM
It hasn't been used as chicken coup in probably over 50 years. Actually hasn't really even been used. My grandfather aquired lots of junk working with the phone company and other things as well, he never through anything away, and it has just been filled with junk for quite a long time.

ibby458
03-14-2007, 05:53 AM
To answer your primary question, loosen up the roofing around your hole after cutting it open, put aluminum flashing under the high side roofing, and over the low side roofing, running it up the cupola sides. Try ti figure out where the water will want to go, and how to direct it to where YOU want it to go. Tar (or silicone) any possible leaks and hope for the best.

Pete S
03-14-2007, 05:37 PM
With a "shed type roof" which it sounds like you have, it will be a bit tricky.

Working the flashing under the metal roofing is a good idea, but you as well will want to consider NOT having a "straight" edge, but rather a bent/pointed toward the up-slope of the roof to "divert" the water/ice/snow AROUND the coupola.

The sides should be "behind" the up-slope, BUT need to emerge ON TOP of the downslpoe roofing.

The down-slope side against the coupola and on TOP of the metal roofing.

Did I explain that correctly?

Pete

royalmaple
03-14-2007, 07:11 PM
As far as flashing goes for the cupola, Say you are going to use rough boards. So frame the cupola, then you need to nail on some lateral nailers. You'll have one in the soffit and one right at the bottom basically right on the old roof. THen take some coil stock aluminum. Cut say an 8" strip the length of your cupola, and then put a bend in it the same angle as the roof to cupola wall is. Say its 120 degrees or so. Then before you put on your siding nail on the flashing 4 inches up the cupola wall, and 4 inches laying on the existing metal roofing. THen when you nail on your sheething it will be over the flashing and sealing it in. Then I took some pop rivets and predrilled the flashing and metal roof and rivet the two together where the peaks of your existing roof meet the flashing. Should be just fine.

dhbiker1
04-12-2007, 07:26 PM
I ended up tearing the old building completely down and starting over on the foundation. Its 12x12 and I used mostly crossarms that we have a few piles of from when my grandfather worked for the telephone company. The cupola is framed its roughly 4' long, 3' wide, and rises 2' above roof. I am using asphault shingles because i already had 3 bundles of timberline 40yr i got for free driving for a lumberyard last summer. My question now is what will change about flashing. I have a 50' roll of aluminum 6 or 8" wide. I'm wondering about going over shingles/under shingles, over/under felt paper and anything that will help. Only thing i'm sure is that i have 2x4's on the bottom edges that meet the plywood sheathing so I can nail the flashing up that. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow but i'll be busy after class cause i want to get it shingled before this storm comes on sunday.

Pete S
04-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Check out this link:

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article.asp?article_id=60348

Look for the "step flashing" detail which shows the roof abutting a wall.

IF you're utilizing a "shed style" (single slope) this would be an example to follow for the sides of the coupla.

dhbiker1
04-12-2007, 08:03 PM
it's a gable, thanks for that website, much better than what i have found searching for 45 min.

royalmaple
04-13-2007, 01:49 AM
Do you need to know how to flash the length of the cupola? or step flashing up the gable end?

maple flats
04-13-2007, 07:28 AM
The link Pete S gave should answer it all. Just remember, water flows down hill or seeps across, where ever you see an opportunity for it to travel direct the water where you want it by use of flashing. Do one level at a time and flash as you work up the roof. Silicone caulk works well to seal any potential leaks. Good luck.

adk1
05-12-2011, 01:00 PM
I dont see any sugarhouse plans on the UVM website..correction, someone scanned it.. thanks! Go dow nall the way to the bottom

http://www.uvm.edu/~uvmaple/sugarhousedesign.pdf