PDA

View Full Version : 3/16 hybrid (Gravity + Sap Puller) Advice

steviepap
03-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Hi, I have about 10 lines (200 taps) on 3/16 tubing using gravity. My trees at the bottom of the lines are not getting much vac as they have minimal slope before the tank. As a result, I am thinking of putting in a mainline and a pump to hopefully get production. I am new to all of this, so I am looking for advice on set up, installation, and products to use. Any photos/videos to give me ideas would also be very helpful. Thanks Steve.

Biz
03-18-2016, 08:21 AM
I just have just one 3/16" line on vacuum this year, 21 taps, and it works great! Line has 10-15' of drop. I added a Shurflo pump, and I'm getting 28" of vacuum at the end and really good sap flow. At a Bascoms seminar last year they mentioned that adding vacuum to 3/16 gravity lines is a good thing, it basically adds to the natural vacuum - and you get max vacuum through the whole line not just at the top.

Dave

steviepap
03-18-2016, 01:20 PM
Thanks Dave. Do you have any pics of your set up with the Shurflo pump?

Cedar Eater
03-18-2016, 02:56 PM
Hi, I have about 10 lines (200 taps) on 3/16 tubing using gravity. My trees at the bottom of the lines are not getting much vac as they have minimal slope before the tank. As a result, I am thinking of putting in a mainline and a pump to hopefully get production. I am new to all of this, so I am looking for advice on set up, installation, and products to use. Any photos/videos to give me ideas would also be very helpful. Thanks Steve.

I'm in a similar situation. I'll be looking at the answers, too. Next year I will have 5-8 3/16" saplines running downslope from the top of a long ridge to a fairly flat cedar swamp. Some of the lines could have trees near the bottom and there are many reds along the edge of the swamp that are too low to tie into any of the lines. If I wanted the hassle, I could run a main line along the edge of the cedars and catch a lot more trees and maybe even pull the sap across the cold swamp to my house. It would keep me from having to go to multiple collection points along the swamp edge.

jmayerl
03-18-2016, 04:25 PM
My Shurflo for 6- 3/16 lines

steviepap
03-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the pic jmayerl. Question: The valve closest to the little girl is that for a line to the tank to re-circulate sap? Also what is on top of the t-fitting just before the valve next to the girl. Thanks

jmayerl
03-18-2016, 04:47 PM
#1 yes but never needed it yet. 2 plug for the vac gauge I was short.

motowbrowne
03-18-2016, 04:58 PM
What kind of shurflo are you guys using? How many taps can you run on a setup like that? I'm thinking about having 250-300 on 3/16 next year, so likely 12-15 lines. Would I need to run two pumps?

Cedar Eater
03-18-2016, 08:35 PM
My Shurflo for 6- 3/16 lines

If you don't mind, what's the model number of that pump?

CampHamp
03-18-2016, 09:53 PM
I run my 3/16 tubing into mainline and use these fittings on the mainline (3/16 to 5/16 and attach):

I would try one pump first, given that your 200 taps are all on 3/16 (less pump work to do than if they were 5/16).

motowbrowne
03-19-2016, 05:56 AM
Well, this is what I get for not checking in on the trader very much for two years.

I had no idea that people were using these cheap little RV pumps in conjunction with 3/16 tubing and getting awesome vacuum numbers!

I wish this year was a better sap year than it has been so far. There's still a little hope for the next several days, but the tapholes seem to be really showing their age. This has really motivated me to go full steam ahead sheet with the 3/16 tubing. The only problem I was seeing in setting it up is that I've got about 100 taps that are only 8-10' above my tank. I can get the tank a few feet lower, but shoot if I can rig up a vacuum system that'll pull the whole woods for under $300 it'd be awesome!

Thanks you guys for keeping these topics rolling around so fairweather traders like me can keep learning from great ideas like this one.

steviepap
03-19-2016, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciate it.