PDA

View Full Version : Most forgiving system for not staying on top of leaks?

Bruce L
03-17-2016, 09:43 PM
I have a small remote bush,between 250-300 taps,that is all.Since it is a distance up the road from the sugarhouse and main bushes,we are not able to check it for leaks as often as the main bushes nearer the sugarhouse.It would need to be run by a gasoline engine since it is remote,and would probably also have a couple of sap ladders.Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cedar Eater
03-18-2016, 01:02 AM
What kind of slopes are you talking? Suitable for 3/16" tubing producing natural vacuum?

motowbrowne
03-18-2016, 05:02 AM
What kind of slopes are you talking? Suitable for 3/16" tubing producing natural vacuum?

I think one of the problems with 3/16 is that it is not forgiving of leaks. A vacuum pump will let you overcome leaks, whereas natural vacuum can't do that.

maple flats
03-18-2016, 06:25 AM
Unless there is a large population of squirrels, a Hot end system can help. It greatly reduces micro leaks, but squirrels can create leaks that need a good hunter to reduce. If there is much slope, I suggest 3/16 and a Hot End. www.flushtec.com/products.html If no slope or high squirrel population, you may need a Hot End and Squirrel guard protecting the lines ( a SS mesh sleeve that covers the tubing)

Cedar Eater
03-18-2016, 09:38 AM
I think one of the problems with 3/16 is that it is not forgiving of leaks. A vacuum pump will let you overcome leaks, whereas natural vacuum can't do that.

That may be true, but I think 3/16" tubing seals remarkably well, at least that has been my experience this year. The leaks have been at the tapholes.

Bruce L
03-18-2016, 02:37 PM
Slope is minimal,probably 2% or less. With my wife and I both driving school bus,2 barns full of cattle,there is not a lot of time for checking this bush for damage,just pick up the sap and bring it down to the sugar house

n8hutch
03-18-2016, 08:12 PM
I would go with a 3/16 hybrid system with high vac on your mains. It would be cheaper to install because you can put 20-25 taps per lateral, even more if you like. So that saves you 4 saddles every 25 taps, plus that's 4 less spots for a leak. Also I think your vac pump would be able to over come the leaks better on some levels because your only trying to maintain the vaccum on the mains. This maybe a minimal benefit. Also it would still alow the use of ladders if necessary. There is a guy down the street from me with a Hybrid setup and it is really working well for him. I was impressed. I hope to setup my own hybrid system next year.