PDA

View Full Version : 50*+ and now we're done runnin'??? HELP!

Pete S
03-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Real new to the little quirky things about this tappin' sappin' stuff.

Problem: Weather finally warmed up, run started, hit 50*+ and now NOTHING!

I JUST went to check to see if the little tap hole(s) got plugged, and one of the two holes in the trees I checked almost looked DRY!!

We have got nothing to run actually since Sunday, and it's been above freezing for several days now.

We tapped Feb 20 and got a day or so of good run, then it froze up COLD again. Started to run again about March 8th and ran till Saturday which was really warm, 55*+.

Do we need to re-tap, or do we need to just have some patience.

HELP! We want to have another boildown this Sunday,.............and it ain't lookin' good!!

Pete

backyardsugarer
03-13-2007, 09:12 AM
As tough as it sounds, be patient, you do not need to re-tap. Trees are funny and I am disappointed too at this point.
Reasons trees won't run:

Too warm
Too cold and trees won't thaw
No sun
too windy
too much snow
not enough ground water

And many more..........

Hang in there

Dave Y
03-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Pete,
Patience is a virtue. It will run again. you will be making syrup in april!

maplehound
03-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Pete,
If it hasn't froped below freezing at night it won't run during the day no matter how warm it gets. You need those cold nights and then warm days.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-13-2007, 09:48 AM
If you get a couple of good nights in a row around 15 to 20 and cool during the days, it will run like crazy again. I am in the same boat and hoping for the freeze they are predicting for a couple of days this weekend to be able to make a little more syrup.

Pete S
03-13-2007, 10:49 AM
"Intelligence is not the ability to store information, but know where to find it"
Albert Einstein

So here I am!

Although I feel better knowing the things you folks have shared..................I still HATE it when my WIFE IS RIGHT!!! Be patient she says............!

I just want a little sap to boil...............and it's windy and near 70* today and I'm dry as a bone!

I can't believe that I want it to get cold again......this maple stuff sure does make a guy a bit "different" in the head!

Thanks!

royalmaple
03-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Pete-

There is one thing that I can suggest, set sail with the captain and you'll be in good hands.

It will come back. Those trees are just giving you a chance to get ready for the flood.

Dave Puhl
03-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Its hot here to in Wis. at noon it 57..wat to hot.... drying up..gona collect and try to cool down what sap there is.........

mapleman3
03-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Pete everyone hates me at this time of the year... when sugaring is approaching I still want it cold.. then I let it warm up for them slightly... but I complain when it's near 60deg... they want it warm I want it colder !! crazy!

danno
03-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Royalmaple - I want to visit your sugarshack if you're pouring:)

royalmaple
03-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Come on over, I'll keep your cup full and you can bale wood in the evaporator for me.

I just ran out, need to get a new jug before I get serious about boiling again.