PDA

View Full Version : sap flow

Tickle
03-16-2016, 08:41 PM
was wondering what peoples opinions were ,most of my trees have budded out but not all, with the upcoming forecast of 3-4 nights of 20 degree temps any thought on what might happen with tree sap quality and tree sap flow ,thanks

Ghs57
03-17-2016, 02:41 AM
Not sure about the buds here, but if there is a run, I will test boil a sample for taste. Latest sap has been cloudy with what seems to be lower sugar content, but still tastes OK. I'm cleaning my tanks just in case.

Ghs57
03-17-2016, 10:04 PM
The tank on my vac line was about 1/3 full today. I was cleaning my other tanks and drums, and then checked this one. The sap was very cloudy and did not smell fresh, so I dumped it. This run is is from Monday to today, in above freezing temps. I have my doughts about the upcoming sap run, as I think the trees may have turned the corner, but will see what happens. It's going to have to be good to expend the time and fuel on another boil. I'm disappointed in such a short season this year.

Tickle
03-18-2016, 07:23 AM
yes i was out yesterday looking at the trees and a lot of them have definitely budded out ,some have not yet so i think i'm going to leave buckets on those and am contemplating the idea of putting in some new taps in a few trees that i did not tap and that still have not yet budded out and see what happens this weekend ,the forecast looks perfect for sap flow ,hoping for more as season seems to short.