PDA

View Full Version : oops

old tom
03-16-2016, 08:36 PM
I meant to say what is organic maple syrup

happy thoughts
03-16-2016, 09:29 PM
To be labeled and sold as organic, syrup needs to meet the requirements of the certifying organization. Requirements may vary by the organization in your region. Most cover the use of pesticides and types of defoamers but may also cover sustainabilty of the sugar bush including tapping guidelines, tree diversity in the bush, etc. It generally requires a fee and an inspection.

Here's a link to a vermont organic maple certification program to give you an idea of what may be required.

http://nofavt.org/sites/default/files/files/resources/vof_guidelines_for_certification_of_organic_maple_ sap_syrup.pdf

michael marrs
03-16-2016, 10:08 PM
I thought the same thing,if it comes out of trees, its organic, but, my friend, has a farm certified organic, which meant people from the state came and did various tests to prove chemicals had not been used on the property for , I believe 100 years. I could be wrong on the time frame but that is what I remember

Clinkis
03-16-2016, 10:14 PM
I thought the same thing,if it comes out of trees, its organic, but, my friend, has a farm certified organic, which meant people from the state came and did various tests to prove chemicals had not been used on the property for , I believe 100 years. I could be wrong on the time frame but that is what I remember

If it's 100 years there wouldn't be much farmland that would ever be certifiably organic. I think it's typically 3-5 years depending on your jurisdiction that farmland needs to be chemical free before it can be up for consideration.

GV2
03-17-2016, 05:41 AM
A good read happy thoughts. Though I don't live in Vermont I found it interesting and pretty much consistent with what is suggested and endorsed on this forum from year to year.