PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to suck sap?

danno
03-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Was not sure where to post this so I stuck it here.

Both my sap pumps are on the fritz so I have to make a purchase tomorrow. I was able to pump just enough out of my holding tank tonight to buy me most of tomorrow before I overflow.

I've been using a small 2 cylce that does about 1800 gallons an hour and a small electric that does much less. I rebuilt the 2 cycle this summer as it was leaking bad. Still leaked bad after the fix and now it's just about toast. Maybe that's why homelight discontinued the pump.

Anyway, what do I replace it with. What do you use?

My holding tank is 400 gallons and I can empty it through the valve mounted on the bottom, or if frozen (it usually is), by throwing the hose right in the tank. I pump into two 200 gallon crate tanks that are mounted on a trailer.

Was thinking of trying a sump pump. I have electric out at the tank. Any suggestions?

MaplePancakeMan
03-12-2007, 11:40 PM
i don't know what your price is but i bought en ecolo inline/submersible pump that holds hoses 1 1/2" it has an oil free rotor and pumps 5000 gallons an hr. It pumps really nicely and its electric and very low maintenance its 170 to your door but they have one that does half that for like 70 to your door might be less than that the store name was Koi Lagoon or something along that they deal with fish tanks and stuff i guess they use these for pond water spouts? works great for sap.

MaplePancakeMan
03-12-2007, 11:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Eco-Plus-1584-gph-Submersible-Water-Pump-Inline-Use_W0QQitemZ4468165780QQcategoryZ20569QQrdZ1QQssP ageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
thats for the 1600 gph

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eco-Plus-InLine-or-Submersible-Water-Pump-4950-gph_W0QQitemZ7772816807QQcategoryZ103440QQrdZ1QQss PageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
thats for the 5000 gph

Sorry i was a little off on the gph of the lower one.

Pete33Vt
03-13-2007, 03:38 AM
I use both a sump pump and a gas pump. If you are not going to use or have use for a gas pump anywhere else, I would go with the sump pump. I am not sure of the size my pump is but last year it pumped sap from a gathering tank, up a 20ft lift and over 75 feet. Worked great with no problems. Also use it to unload my gathering tank out of my pickup into my feed tank. Still runs great. They can be picked up anywhere for not alot of money.

nhmaple48
03-13-2007, 06:40 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Eco-Plus-1584-gph-Submersible-Water-Pump-Inline-Use_W0QQitemZ4468165780QQcategoryZ20569QQrdZ1QQssP ageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
thats for the 1600 gph

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eco-Plus-InLine-or-Submersible-Water-Pump-4950-gph_W0QQitemZ7772816807QQcategoryZ103440QQrdZ1QQss PageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
thats for the 5000 gph

Sorry i was a little off on the gph of the lower one.

How much is left when it's done pumping.i.e.what will it pump down to? THANKS.

tuckermtn
03-13-2007, 08:29 AM
we use the honda WX 10 4 cycle pumps. got one for $300 from the local motorcycle shop (northern tool had the same one for $379) but if you don't need a portable pump, electric can be cheaper and less fussy...

-tuckermtn

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-13-2007, 09:30 AM
I have two 1" Tanaka gas pumps and a 1" submersible electric pump that is around 1500 gph from Home Depot for around $ 40 that I pump from the milk tank to the feed tank.

PS The 1" submersible pump pumps to about 10 feet above without any problem. Myself and mapleman have been using the same pump for several years and it works great. No switch, just plug and pump.

maplehound
03-13-2007, 09:40 AM
I use all kinds of pumps just depends on where and when I need to pump. Up till a couple years ago I used sump pumps to pump sap around the sugar house but now I use irigaion pumps. Both have worked well but I have had better luck with the irigation pumps lasting. I also have a pacer pump to off load the sap from my hauling wagon, we use it because it pumps so fast. I also have 2 cycle pumps that I lick to use in the woods when needed. I sure love them they are so light to carry around and dependable. I also have a deep well pump in my Zero bulk milk tank that is used to pump the sap out of the tank while still under vacuume. sometimes I think I pump the sap almost too much. LOL
I HOPE THEY ALL STILL WORK NEXT YEAR AFTER TAKING THIS YEAR OFF

danno
03-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all of your ideas. Now that I have electric at site for the vacuum pump, might as well use it.

I just made the purchase - a 1/3 hp sump pump that will do about 2000 gph to move sap from the holding tank to the sap wagon and a small electric inline garden hose pump that I use just to fill my gravity tank over my evaporator.

It's crazy that both went down on me yesterday. I will wind up rebuilding both the two cycle and the old inline pump, but with a holding tank getting ready to overflow, I was not gonna mess around with them today. They were both old and ready for replacement anyway.

Anybody have problems with those 2 cycles leaking like a son of gun out of the bottom of the housing? And how they fixed it? I did a rebuild with new washers and seals, but the problem continued.

MaplePancakeMan
03-13-2007, 11:41 AM
nhmaple, i pump out of a 275 gallon tank on a truck, if you just wiggle the pump around, you can get it almost all completely out maybe half a gallon i used it as a submersible it leaves like a 1/2" layer i manipulate the pump and the tank to get as much as possible.

MaplePancakeMan
03-13-2007, 11:42 AM
nh maple also if you have a valve at the bottom you can get a fitting to fit over the valve and attach the pump right to it. haven't bought mine yet but def going to.

brookledge
03-13-2007, 09:31 PM
I use to use a tanaka 1.5" pump and then I bought a Honda WX15 4 stroke.
What a difference between the two. The 4 stroke uses hardly any fuel compared to the tanaka. For me the 1" pumps are not big enough.
Keith

tyrod2
04-26-2007, 02:42 PM
A friend of mine gave me a submersible pump new in the box made by Little Giant it is white and aqua blue in color. A real nice pump, It has 3/4 inch house fittings on it .Will it be ok to use it in my holding bulk tank at my suger house? I do not know if I should because this pump has oil in it.

SapSuckers
04-27-2007, 08:57 AM
I use a submersible pump to transfer sap from my tanks. I have never had a problem or at least one i know of. I did not know there may be oil in it, i will be sure to check that. I only use my pump strcikly for sap and keep it very clean.

tyrod2
04-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Yes Chris,in the instructions said that the pump has a oil bath around the motor in side the pump.Even though the pump is sealed I was wandering abought it. I did not know this eather.

markcasper
04-27-2007, 01:14 PM
I have a 400 gallon zero bulk tank that I use for gathering. A firend of mine tore apart the old manure spreader that it was on many years ago. He saved the tounge, jack and axles. We mounted an sp-11 surge pump onto the front and he geared it to be able to run off the power shaft on tractor.

I load and unload with the same valve, the 2inch on the bottom. I can load it in about 5 minutes @ 15 inches of vacuum. There also a step saver at the rear for gathering any buckets I may have. The top covers are sealed by seat belts from an old car so theres no leaking. Works slick because I can suck every tank completely dry and no priming and all that hooey.

At the shack I just have a 1/2 hp electric "Wayne" brand pump for sap with a meter on it. Its a hundred dollar pump and does a hundred dollar job. I use this only for sap and pumping from the lower tanks to the upper tank.

adk1
08-12-2011, 07:13 PM
ok, everyone knows my operation. 120 or so taps, a decent gravity slope. I ahve 3/4" mainline to run. So here is the deal, what small vac system is out there that would be ideal for me. THe Leader site has them for up to 500 taps. I will never get there on my property. I also see they have a releaser that is up to 500 taps. need to get looking into this.

08-12-2011, 07:20 PM
How about a dairy pump and bender realeaser should do the trick

adk1
08-12-2011, 07:22 PM
I know 0 when it comes to this. dont know where to get them or anything

08-12-2011, 08:09 PM
I find looking and searching old threads in the vac section is helpful

Thompson's Tree Farm
08-13-2011, 05:54 AM
Broker Mike had a bender for sale. Not sure if it is still available.