PDA

View Full Version : My "new"sap & concentrate cooler

Bucket Head
03-15-2016, 07:40 PM
I always wanted the ability to keep sap cold and then after I bought an R.O. the need for cold concentrate storage was a priority. So this year I had a refrigeration guy take a look at the compressor unit that came with this tank and he figured we should try it. So today we finally got it "on line". It needs a little fine tuning but it works.

Another recent post talked about he cost of the Coolbot units and getting a bulk up and running. Both ways are going to require some cash layout but either way is a worthy investment in my opinion. I'm going to be right around $800 for the labor and the refrigerant for the tank. More than I expected but thats how it goes.

This tank will allow my father and I to collect and hold sap or concentrate until we can get to it. Being for the most part "weekend warriors", we often sweated it out during the week when it was warm. And since it will be a lot easier for this unit to keep sap cool over cooling down milk in the middle of summer, the electricity usage will be minimal.

Steve

DaveB
03-16-2016, 09:15 AM
I'm looking at taking the Coolbot route but I also need to build a structure. My two biggest expenses would be the insulation and the Coolbot. I'm looking at using 4" rigid insulation panels 2'x8' and placing them in 2x4 frames and build a square structure around my main tank. I'm looking at less than 75 sq feet so I can get away with a small air conditioner unit.

I really like the idea of knowing that my sap will stay cool and I don't have to worry about temperatures or piling up snow!

mellondome
03-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Need to put the agitator back on the tank. I hope you aren't using that to collect with also... unless you like paying your refrigerant guy.

ennismaple
03-16-2016, 12:15 PM
Nice looking build!

Bucket Head
03-16-2016, 12:39 PM
Mellondome- Working on the agitator right now. I had to use another motor with a different paddle hook-up, so I have to mate (weld) the original paddle to the mount for the other motor.
Yes, I figured I'd just save a step and collect with this next year. I just don't know where exactly the engine, drivers seat and steering wheel mount will end up. And I have no idea where my father is going to ride on it. But the roll cage made out of stainless steel tubing is going to look neat on top of it! Seriously, it's going to stay there in the sugarhouse.

Ennismaple- Thanks!