PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Syrup Prices

Bill'sSugarShack
03-15-2016, 02:47 PM
What are you getting for syrup prices???

adk1
03-15-2016, 02:52 PM
$60/gallon

psparr
03-15-2016, 03:35 PM
A couple years ago I sold a 6oz. jelly jar on eBay. It went up to $9 plus the poor guy paid $5 to ship it. I felt like an a$$ for him having to pay that much. A week later I got an email from him... He wanted 10 more!
Needless to say I gave him a fairer price for those.

Snappyssweets
03-15-2016, 04:32 PM
2.50 1/4 pint
5.00 1/2 pint
10.00 Pint
20 Quart

That is our prices on what we sell locally. I have been told I am a bit high and I know I am. As I tell them when they do. No one is twisting your arm. Would you like to taste the difference between my syrup and the stores. Then if they say sure I whip out a few spoons and let them try it. They usually never complain again and often come back for more.

:D

Gissert
03-15-2016, 05:49 PM
I'm getting 15 a pint, or 25 for two.We're getting repeat business. It seems a little high but people seem to be willing to pay. If they want a larger amount I cut the price quite a bit for bulk purchases. It all word of mouth and we don't advertise. Other than trapping, it's the only hobby we actually make a little money on.

n8hutch
03-15-2016, 07:02 PM
7____1/2 pt
13_____pt
22_____qts
37_____1/2 gal
70_____gal

And I can't make enough.

gmc8757
03-15-2016, 07:38 PM
Where do you sell it all? I only have about 60 gallons made from this year but wouldn't mind recouping some costs if possible. It would give me a chance to reinvest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lafite
03-15-2016, 07:58 PM
$15 12oz
$20 17oz
$25 Quart

Russell Lampron
03-15-2016, 08:45 PM
$10/pint

$18/quart

$30/half gallon

$55/gallon

I don't bother with anything smaller than a pint and I don't do glass.

Russell Lampron
03-15-2016, 08:55 PM
Where do you sell it all? I only have about 60 gallons made from this year but wouldn't mind recouping some costs if possible. It would give me a chance to reinvest!

I sell mine by word of mouth to friends and co-workers. My wife and kids sell to their friends and co=workers too. Talk it up and people will buy it.

I belong to the NH Maple Producers Association and participate in the annual open house weekend and sell a lot of it then. I now have a lot of repeat business and they come to me.

Cedar Eater
03-15-2016, 09:02 PM

Your location is a little vague. Your state law will determine whether you can legally sell it. If you can't, then it's like selling anything else on the black market.

gmc8757
03-16-2016, 06:12 AM
Your location is a little vague. Your state law will determine whether you can legally sell it. If you can't, then it's like selling anything else on the black market.

Sorry, I'm in ny.

West Sumner Sugar
03-16-2016, 06:21 AM
This is our sell sheet. Never had a complaint about price and we've been having more and more people pre-order before the season starts. Glass sells a lot as people seem to gift it. We've shipped syrup as far as Alaska.

zandstrafarms
03-16-2016, 07:52 AM
How was collection this year? Here in MI many large producers quit after 2 weeks. Sugar content of some was 1.25% on sugar maples!

We've cooked 500 gal and gotten 3.5 gallons on our 2x5 hybrid. I'm holding out for a cold spell - we still have a month to go but the silvers have flowered already.

In mi at least it should be a higher price for syrup.
Supply and demand.

billyinvt
03-16-2016, 08:00 AM
I feel justified in charging more for glass containers. No chance to hide cloudy syrup or nitre sediment and the customer can see the color for themselves. Not to mention the upcharge to cover the extra cost for the container itself. I'm very proud of the syrup I produce and I sell out very quickly.

Cedar Eater
03-16-2016, 11:02 AM
Sorry, I'm in ny.

I'm not familiar with NY laws. In MI, you would have to boil it indoors in a FDA compliant kitchen.

MidMichMaple
03-16-2016, 11:44 AM
I'm not familiar with NY laws. In MI, you would have to boil it indoors in a FDA compliant kitchen.

Michigan laws are a little fuzzy for small producers. They basically seem to say "must be processed in an FDA compliant kitchen, but put a sticker on it that says it was produced in a facility that's not inspected." Ok, so I have to have a compliant, non-inspected facility?

http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-50772_45851-240577--,00.html#MapleSyrup

it says that maple syrup "cannot be processed in a home kitchen" but it doesn't say why.

Cedar Eater
03-16-2016, 12:30 PM
Michigan laws are a little fuzzy for small producers. They basically seem to say "must be processed in an FDA compliant kitchen, but put a sticker on it that says it was produced in a facility that's not inspected." Ok, so I have to have a compliant, non-inspected facility?

http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-50772_45851-240577--,00.html#MapleSyrup

it says that maple syrup "cannot be processed in a home kitchen" but it doesn't say why.

If you produce a small amount (gross sales not exceeding $15,000) and label appropriately (similar to Michigan Cottage Food Act), you can remain exempt from licensing under the Michigan Food Act and your product can be sold in retail stores, not just in farmers markets and on-premises stores (like jams, jellies, pickles, etc). But they assume you can't reasonably boil that much liquid down in a home kitchen, so maple syrup is not included in the Michigan Cottage Food Act which gives the licensing exemption to products that can be canned in a home kitchen. Boiling outside and finishing inside doesn't count. Michigan has a reputation for being extra cautious in its food handling laws.

lyford
03-16-2016, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE]Michigan has a reputation for being extra cautious in its food handling laws.

not too concerned about water safety though, ie Flint

Tater
03-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Well, duh, lyford. Gov't is in charge of water supply. You expect them to make their own job more difficult?

Maybe things would simplify if state legislators were maple producers.

saphound
03-16-2016, 04:33 PM
Umm.. that same state Gov't sets the laws regarding maple too, Tater.

Tater
03-16-2016, 05:59 PM
I'm aware of that, saphound. But the government is in charge of town water. They supply it. I seriously doubt many of the state officials are maple syrup producers.

Cedar Eater
03-16-2016, 06:29 PM
not too concerned about water safety though, ie Flint

They don't make any money from policing municipal water suppliers. I'll bet they would be all over a for-profit water provider like fleas on a dog.

MidMichMaple
03-16-2016, 06:42 PM
If you produce a small amount (gross sales not exceeding $15,000) and label appropriately (similar to Michigan Cottage Food Act), you can remain exempt from licensing under the Michigan Food Act and your product can be sold in retail stores, not just in farmers markets and on-premises stores (like jams, jellies, pickles, etc). But they assume you can't reasonably boil that much liquid down in a home kitchen, so maple syrup is not included in the Michigan Cottage Food Act which gives the licensing exemption to products that can be canned in a home kitchen. Boiling outside and finishing inside doesn't count. Michigan has a reputation for being extra cautious in its food handling laws.

Ah, I see. So it's the boiling outside that's a problem. So if I understand correctly, if I boil outside and finish in the kitchen, then I can't sell it under any circumstances, even face-to-face sales? That's kind of a bummer. I bottled and labeled everything up nice this year and was hoping to try out selling at the local farmer's market. Mostly just for the experience, since profit ain't happening.

Sue @ Battel's Sugar Bush
03-16-2016, 08:27 PM
$54 gallon
$29 half gallon
$17 quart
$10 pint
And $5-15 for specialty bottles