PDA

View Full Version : Not ready to call it quits

jrthe3
03-15-2016, 08:34 AM
I not done yet going to see what this freeze and next week bring. Is anyone else with me on this ? Or am I all alone out here?

unc23win
03-15-2016, 08:39 AM
I'm with you the last 2 seasons I quit thought it was done and then got more but not enough to get the evaporator going again. I had a pretty good run Saturday and decent runs Sunday and Monday. My sap is clear sugar is 1.5 after all these days with no freeze interesting to say the least. I think most people in Tioga and Potter counties are still holding out for more.

Z/MAN
03-15-2016, 10:08 PM
I'm not quitting yet either. Collected and boiled Sunday and my sap was 2%+ and clear. It is looking like sap weather from Friday night into next week here. I'm going to try and make lots more syrup.

coyote
03-16-2016, 04:20 AM
We quit. Had a pretty good run after Friday's good freeze(22 degrees). Sugar dropped to 1.1%. Made about 18 gallons of dark and could hardly get it through the press. Changed RO filters several times. It was a struggle the whole way.

jrthe3
03-16-2016, 07:38 AM
Well I was out fixing fence yesterday afternoon I noticed that some of the smaller soft maples are starting to get the little bud caps at end of branches not sure if this cold weather we going to get well freeze the buds off and maybe start season over again hoping so I will be putting syrup from here on out in a different drump just in case

chuckwagon
03-16-2016, 05:41 PM
I'm not done,this is my first year and just a back yard hobbiest,did boil 15 gallon yesterday thought I was done until I seen the weather,I will leave taps in to see what happens.this stuff taste to good to give up now.hopefully will get enough to boil.

doocat
03-16-2016, 10:06 PM
We are ready for round two up here in the northeast!

Z/MAN
03-16-2016, 10:33 PM
The upcoming weather looks too good to be true.( I won't be shocked if it doesn't work out) I have all barrels, pails, buckets etc. all cleaned up and ready for fresh sap. Pan is soaking in vinegar and will be nice and shiny and ready for some boiling. A little worried that the temps might not go high enough here but time will tell. If it flows I'm ready.:D My reds and silvers(only have 2 of each) have budded but the sugars are very small and tight.(so far)

MapleLady
03-17-2016, 05:42 AM
Not ready to pull the taps yet over here. I haven't had any sap since last weekend, but this coming weekend's forecast is looking promising for one more run next week. Time will tell, but this lag has given me time to finish up and bottle the sap I boiled last Saturday. Our syrup has been a bit darker than what we are used to, but still delicious! Every year is different!

Cabin
03-17-2016, 07:15 AM
I hope the cold will 'reset' the trees for at least another boil or two. Checked the trees last night and only a few show serious bud activity, guess I will pull the taps out of them tonight(maybe).

Cabin
03-23-2016, 07:51 AM
I hope the cold will 'reset' the trees for at least another boil or two. Checked the trees last night and only a few show serious bud activity, guess I will pull the taps out of them tonight(maybe).

OK While I am not ready to give up the trees have stopped. Not even the freeze we had on the weekend could get them started. My season lasted all of two weeks this year! :(

Sugarmaker
03-23-2016, 07:57 AM
Boyd,
I haven't seen you update this lately. My guess is your done now? I was rinsing tubing yesterday and only found a few that had wet tap holes after pulling the spiles. Hope your season was good!
Regard,
Chris