PDA

View Full Version : syrup clarity

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
03-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Ok, Here we go again with a question??

Ive finished my syrup down to about 218 degree's on the evaperator. I than filter it there threw 2 felt filters and a paper towl. Then bring it inside to finish it off to 220 degree's and then filter it threw a paper towl and a fine mesh coffee filter. Now here's the question...

When I bottle it, it is nice and clear and then after about ten minutes it starts to cloud up.

Anybody tell me what is happening??? :?:

:idea: Im thinking mabe I cooked it to long. I use a candy thermo to check the temp..

Chuck :mrgreen:

mapleman3
03-03-2004, 07:02 PM
remember..the boiling point changes, what makes syrup today at 219..may make syrup tomorrow at 217... always check water boiling point first then adjust your 7 deg above for syrup. as for cloudy... it may be a bit heavy? is it crystalizing very small in the syrup?

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
03-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Hi Jim,
Is there anything I can do to get rid of this crystalizing :?: Can I add fresh sap and reboil to the proper temp-density :?:

Chuck

mapleman3
03-03-2004, 07:23 PM
answered your own question, just blend in a little syrup(not sap) that is on the light side and reboil... just be sure to watch the temp of boiling water, I find here sometimes water boils at 210, then add 7 thats 217... if you go to 219 and it's overdone!!

water only boils at 212 in perfect barometric conditions and altitude.

what a funny hobby we have

syrupmaker
03-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Chuck...a little more heat and you could try your hand at candy.

Rick

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
03-03-2004, 07:34 PM
That sounds, good at least I know what I should have done.

My mind said Check the boiling point of the water and my body said just boil it to 220. I Got lazy :oops: , thats what happend. I will just have to live and learn :!:

Chuck

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
03-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Chuck...a little more heat and you could try your hand at candy.

Rick

Mabe thats what I will do with it.
Ive only got about 1/2 gallon of it.
I made a gallon syrup back about 2 weeks ago and it came out perfect, then again I did check the boiling point of water at that point. Didnt think it would change any, but that proves me wrong! Da thats what happens when your a green horn. HA HAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck

powerdub
03-03-2004, 08:00 PM
I would try changing the way you filter. You say you are filtering it through 2 felts before you finish it off and then only a paper towel and coffee filter after. When you re-heat the syrup up past 190 or 200 you re-activate the niter. Not sure if that is the right term but that sounds like what is happening. Try final filtering through the two felts last. I have never had that happen with heavy syrup or anything else unless I under filtered.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Chuck,

Down here water always boils around 204 to 206, so it sounds like to me, you are getting it a little too hot. To be precise, syrup is 7.1 degrees above the boiling point of water.

I use a hydrometer and finish my syrup to 60 degrees instead of 59 because it makes a thicker syrup and most people like it better. It costs me about 2 ounces of syrup each gallon, but makes people happier. If I went any thicker than that, it could crystalize.

wdchuck
03-04-2004, 04:32 AM
Powerdub has given you the answer here. When you re-boil, you cause some nitre to re-precipitate out of the syrup. You'll have to re-filter when you re-heat, or just once after you're finally done.

powerdub
03-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Pre-pricipitate. That is the word I was looking for. Thanks woody.

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
03-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Ok Guys,
I will try it that way. Filter threw 2 felts last. I will also try to cut back on the heat. The first batch I made it did get a bit thick. The second batch Imade I did get it a bit closer to the right temps. My kids like the heaver stuff, Me and my wife like the thinner stuff, so here we have a happy meduim.

Chuck

Fred Henderson
03-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Thermometers are only a guide that get you close. try using a syrup hydrometer. The test cup and hydrometer will cost you about $30 and you will be right all the time once you learn how to use it. works for me.