PDA

View Full Version : sap gone bad

TRAILGUY
03-14-2016, 08:40 PM
pumped yesterday a little cloudy. Was going to boil today to keep as fresh as possible but permate water smelled so dumped sap and chased the pans and finished three gallons around 3/4 of last year.

Russell Lampron
03-15-2016, 06:03 AM
I don't dump anything here without boiling some down and tasting the finished product first. I have made a lot of good syrup here with cloudy sap. I don't know why the permeate would smell. It has nothing in it to create an odor. All of the sugar, bacteria and minerals stay in the concentrate unless you are passing sugar.

TRAILGUY
03-15-2016, 02:37 PM
have not tested for a few weeks but has always tested 0. do you think sap will clear up after next freeze.

Russell Lampron
03-15-2016, 03:11 PM
The sap that is coming in today is clearer than the sap that I got Sunday and yesterday. I'm hoping that the trees don't bud in the next couple of days. It looks like good sap weather for next week.

red maples
03-15-2016, 05:48 PM
I have made good syrup with cloudy sap. It can be strong but still tastes good you can't judge by steam smell either, sometimes the unfiltered syrup will be off but once its filtered it does taste OK. Thats weird that the Perm smells bad? its purified water. like russ said there is nothing in it.

CampHamp
03-15-2016, 07:16 PM
The sap that is coming in today is clearer than the sap that I got Sunday and yesterday. I'm hoping that the trees don't bud in the next couple of days. It looks like good sap weather for next week.
Boiled some cloudy sap yesterday and it made some DELICIOUS dark. We only just got to freezing last night and I didn't think it would run at all today but it's going full speed. Today's run is clear here, too, and we might move back to amber after the weekend. Hoping the clouds keep the trees cool and dormant for these next few warm days. This is one of those years that I'm glad to be on a north-facing hill!

TrailGuy - you didn't pull taps yet, did you?