PDA

View Full Version : Wesfab 7" hand pump filter question

NTBugtraq
03-14-2016, 03:09 PM
Just purchase the short bank version of this filter together with filter aid and filters. Here's what I have been told about how to use it, please chime in with any corrections or suggestions.

Draw off 1 (US?/Imperial?) gal of syrup (assume its already at the right brix/temp)
To it add 4 cups of filter aid
Run that 1 gal through filter into 4 gal of (other) syrup to be filtered
Add 1 cup of filter aid to the 5 gals
Run 5 gal of syrup through filter
Run "as much?" additional syrup through the press as you can providing that you do not leave the press for 30 minutes in a row not filtering (if left for 30 mins filter aid will drop and syrup may flow through press unfiltered)
Clean press and change papers and start anew.
Comments?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-14-2016, 04:46 PM
I use 1.5 to 2 cups to charge my 7" 4 bank press and then add 1.5 to 2 cups to the rest of the syrup of to 20 gallons. I can't imagine you need 4 cups to charge the press, that sounds extreme.

Russell Lampron
03-14-2016, 08:13 PM
I have that same press and have since replaced the hand pump with an air operated diaphragm pump. I don't have the instructions that came with it but have never used more than 2 cups to charge it and I then use 1 cup to 2 gallons of syrup if it is really dirty. When the syrup isn't to dirty I use about half as much. The trick to getting the syrup through that press is to bring the syrup almost to a boil before you pump it through.

NTBugtraq
03-24-2016, 03:57 PM
I use 1.5 to 2 cups to charge my 7" 4 bank press and then add 1.5 to 2 cups to the rest of the syrup of to 20 gallons. I can't imagine you need 4 cups to charge the press, that sounds extreme.

Ok, you say "4 bank press"...what constitutes a bank? I have 3 pieces that are simply frames, and 4 pieces that are solid...???
Or to say it differently, I use 6 pieces of filter paper when I filter. How many banks is that?

I have that same press and have since replaced the hand pump with an air operated diaphragm pump. I don't have the instructions that came with it but have never used more than 2 cups to charge it and I then use 1 cup to 2 gallons of syrup if it is really dirty. When the syrup isn't to dirty I use about half as much. The trick to getting the syrup through that press is to bring the syrup almost to a boil before you pump it through.

What pump did you use to do that, I'd be interested but the Guzzler I bought to do low vac was over C$1000.

Ok, another question.

When I draw off I typically only get 1-2 gallons at a time. To get the 5 gallons the filter can do in one session, I am planning on drawing 3 times into my 16" finishing pan. I will then get it to the right brix (pre-filtered) and then filter (at ~7 degrees above boiling) into my bottling coffee urn.

Sound like the right plan?

Russell Lampron
03-24-2016, 06:39 PM
What pump did you use to do that, I'd be interested but the Guzzler I bought to do low vac was over C$1000.

Ok, another question.

When I draw off I typically only get 1-2 gallons at a time. To get the 5 gallons the filter can do in one session, I am planning on drawing 3 times into my 16" finishing pan. I will then get it to the right brix (pre-filtered) and then filter (at ~7 degrees above boiling) into my bottling coffee urn.

Sound like the right plan?

I found a new Yamada brand air operated double diaphragm pump on ebay for $99 about 5 years ago. It is a 3/8" pump and it works really good.

The filtering plan sounds good except that you only need to get to or close to boiling. You don't need to go 7* above boiling.