PDA

View Full Version : Wood splitter runs good...won't split wood!

Woodsymiles
03-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Motor runs good, hydraulics work but not enough force to split wood...hydraulic fluid was low but at proper level it still doesn't split.

seclark
03-14-2016, 02:45 PM
check where the motor connects to the pump and make sure they are tight or not worn.I had a problem and had to replace the connectors.

Waynehere
03-14-2016, 02:56 PM
I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Ended up being my pump and control valve were both faulty. You really need to put a pressure gauge on it to see what is going on if you don't already have on.

Woodsymiles
03-14-2016, 04:33 PM
Have to try that connection, pressure gauge would be a good idea...thing is brand new...but got a discount on it because it was on display outside...if I bring it back and get a new one...no discount, so trying to see if it can be something simple.

Waynehere
03-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Wow, brand new too? I would think there would be some kind of warranty then, even if it was discounted...

bstewar
03-14-2016, 07:56 PM
I had the same problem on a splitter. Ended up being the handle control valve. Replaced and operated like a champ.

Woodsymiles
03-14-2016, 08:22 PM
I'll check out the lever control valve, not sure where or what that is but it's worth looking at......I guess a fix with warranty isn't a bad idea instead of exchanging and paying full price for another...hoping to keep this one and fix it, every dollar counts.

bstewar
03-15-2016, 06:38 AM
Part should be less than $100. Hopefully your retailer will step up and replace or at the very least provide the part. Best of luck...I know it can be frustrating.
Here is a link and a pic of what I am referring to. http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_472_472?hotline=false
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/400x400/202/2020_400x400.jpg

Russell Lampron
03-15-2016, 07:04 AM
Before you replace anything contact the manufacturer about the warranty. There should be a warranty on it even if it was a display model. I'm assuming that you got the manual with it that should have warranty and contact information in it. You will probably have to bring it to a local authorized repair shop to get it diagnosed and repaired for free.

maple flats
03-15-2016, 07:19 AM
Contact the manufacturer, even a display model should still have their full support. They may have some ideas.
Does the ram seem to move properly with no wood? Just guessing but it sounds like someone tampered with the pressure relief valve or that one is defective. I could be a simple as a metal shaving being caught in the relief valve. Many of the lower end relief valves are not made to be adjustable, if the pressure is not up to spec, the mfgr. would likely ship you a free replacement.

Woodsymiles
03-15-2016, 07:20 AM
Came with no manual...but was going to see about warranty repairs anyway...and or get a manual for it and go through that process if any costly repairs need to be made instead of exchanging.