PDA

View Full Version : Where to Buy Plastic Jugs

lyford
03-14-2016, 01:19 PM
I've always canned in glass mason jars, since I can get those cheaper than the plastic syrup jugs. I'm just wondering where everybody gets their jugs from, or where the best deal is. Thanks

West Sumner Sugar
03-14-2016, 02:04 PM
We get ours from our local CDL dealer. We buy cases of 100 at a time but they sell them individual as well. They run $1.15 for 1/2 pint, $1.30 for pint, and $1.55 for quart.

Sinzibuckwud
03-14-2016, 02:53 PM
local hardware store
add a dime to each price previously mentioned. If they get brought back the caps alone are a dime a piece.
I usually have 5 or 10 off coupon to the store saved for just such a purchase.

NTBugtraq
03-14-2016, 03:32 PM
I've always canned in glass mason jars, since I can get those cheaper than the plastic syrup jugs. I'm just wondering where everybody gets their jugs from, or where the best deal is. Thanks

Consider whether you really want to sell in plastic. Yes, it travels well, but customers cannot see what you have put inside...I sold 500mL plastic bottles one year and got a lot of questions from people.

Russell Lampron
03-14-2016, 04:27 PM

I get mine from my local dealer. If there is a maple producers association in NY you may be able to buy association jugs, if NY has them, at a discount if you are a member.

Consider whether you really want to sell in plastic. Yes, it travels well, but customers cannot see what you have put inside...I sold 500mL plastic bottles one year and got a lot of questions from people.

I have never sold anything in glass. When I first started out I sold it in tin cans. Those were a PITA to deal with. I belong to the NH maple producers association and buy association jugs at a discount. I have never had anyone question what was inside my tin cans or plastic jugs.

Tater
03-14-2016, 06:40 PM
Sugar Hill jug dealer list (http://hillsideplastics.com/Sugarhill-DealerList.html)

Bacon jugs are also an option, but the gambercontainer.com website doesn't have a dealer list for Bacon jugs, and their distributor list is not all-inclusive. You can email them for a list of local dealers.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-14-2016, 07:38 PM
if im correct which I am a lot, Sugar Hill donates a penny for every jug sold to maple research unlike other jug manufacturers. local Leader dealer

Russell Lampron
03-14-2016, 07:39 PM
If you can find Bacon jugs they have the best caps in the industry. You will never have a leaker.

maple flats
03-14-2016, 09:22 PM
That's strange, I started with Bacon jugs but then was given a few Sugarhill jugs by a retired producer, I have much better luck with the Sugarhill jugs and caps.

Russell Lampron
03-15-2016, 05:22 AM
That's strange, I started with Bacon jugs but then was given a few Sugarhill jugs by a retired producer, I have much better luck with the Sugarhill jugs and caps.

Our association used to use Sugarhill jugs and when I canned 30 or so jugs I would find 1 or 2 leakers. About 6 or 7 years ago they switched to Bacon jugs and the cap design was new at the time. I have used several cases of them and haven't had one leak yet.

MidMichMaple
03-19-2016, 07:44 PM
I get bacon jugs from Sugarbush Supplies here in MI.

One thing I've noticed as a hobby producer... Glass jars are nice because you can see how much syrup you've put in, since I do it with a ladle and a funnel. When I fill the plastic bottles I have to measure the syrup first and then pour it in, so it adds an extra step. It's tough to see how much is in the plastic jug until it overflows. 