PDA

View Full Version : Electric Releaser Pump Sizing

rhwells2003
03-14-2016, 07:36 AM
So as many saw this weekend it was a pretty good weekend for my parents woods, and my personal little sugar bush. We just finished setting up my parents 3700, and it's my first year on vac with my 400 taps. So both of us are experiencing the first year stress, jitters, and learning curve. My vac pump was down for half a day yesterday before I figured things out, but I still had a pretty good weekend (1500gal on 400 taps)

My dad had an interesting thing happen to him. So he has 3700taps flowing directly into his sap shed electric releaser. That pumps up to the ceiling (8') through the wall, and dumps into our 5500 gal tank. There is a 1Hp submersible in his electric releaser, and the guy that he bought it from said it'll pump 25gal/min. Well Saturday during peak flow, it couldn't pump fast enough. At one point pumping 5 straight hours, and still the sap hit the emergency off sensor, and shutting down the vac pump. He measured dumps to see how much sap the pump was pushing, and it was doing 6gal/min when the vac was at 28". When he dropped the vac to 20" it could keep up, and push more sap. But who wants to lower their woods by 8" just so your releaser pump can keep up? So my question is what are people using for pump sizes in their electric relasers, and what do you think? Should the pump be larger? 90% of the runs it'll probably work fine, like sunday for instance sap ran good, not quite as good as Saturday, and everything went fine. But those big run days you want to capitalize