PDA

View Full Version : Dark Syrup

kitkat
03-13-2016, 08:00 PM
Most of my syrup turned out real dark this year. Taste OK but none came out light. How did any of yours come out. Season went fast.

saphound
03-13-2016, 08:11 PM
Same here..all medium to dark amber. No idea why but it's very sweet and mapley..no complaints on the taste...it's very good. ;)

Woodsrover
03-13-2016, 08:15 PM
Mine went from very light to pretty light for the first two weeks and then very dark after that.

woodey24
03-13-2016, 08:37 PM
In one week ours went from honey colored to Dark. Yesterday being the Dark. Good taste like everyone has said though. Not looking to sell anyways.

Galena
03-13-2016, 08:44 PM
I get the full spectrum from light gold honey-coloured,through all the shades of amber, to red, to so dam dark it looks like molasses. I frickin LOVE the dark stuff with its intense maple flavour and keep it for myself, I give away all the amber and most of everything else!!!

adk1
03-13-2016, 08:51 PM
All medium and just went to robust

Ghs57
03-13-2016, 10:33 PM
First two or three boils produced Amber, then went dark to very dark on the last boil. Flavor is very good on all, with the most intense flavor on the darkest syrup.

Russell Lampron
03-14-2016, 05:12 AM
Started out making Amber for all of February then went to Golden for all of March. Thought it would finally darken up with the cloudy sap I boiled this weekend but was right on the Golden color sample with the Amber rich flavor. I wish I could make some dark. My customers love it.

VT_K9
03-14-2016, 07:14 AM
We had some of the lightest syrup this year since we started using an R/O. Lighter the AR, but not Delicate. Then a little DA and yesterday was B. Admittedly the sap for Sundays boil was collected Sat and Sun. It was a little cloudy. I am hoping last nights cool spell will help clear it up and get back to the AR/DA.

Mike

saphound
03-14-2016, 08:00 AM
This thread reminds me of a picture that SnappySweets posted a while back showing a jar of very light syrup his daughter made from boiling down ice from his buckets. I'm assuming the amber is from the same batch of sap, but don't know that for sure. But the difference in color kind of stuck in my mind. Maybe sugar content is a factor in the color of syrup? Or the different boiling method? Hope you don't mind me reposting your pic, Snappy.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?27771-Mother-Nature-at-her-finest.