PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning time I need help

Samuelvw1
03-13-2016, 07:24 PM
Well the season for me is over all my metal spikes plastic buckets and drop lines are sitting in a pile ready to be cleaned what is the cleaning solution people use to clean your equipment and how do I clean the plastic taps that are attached with drop lines thanks

Sam
Shelton,Connecticut
1year 1 gallon
This year 5 gallons

Cedar Eater
03-13-2016, 08:11 PM
You might want to just toss the plastic spiles and buy new ones each year. There is evidence that tapholes quit weeping faster with previously used spiles. The spiles also get more brittle and tend to break more easily when tapping and when pulling them after the first season. The metal spiles should be soaked in diluted bleach and then rinsed with clean water, dried, and stored in a ziploc bag. The plastic buckets should be cleaned in diluted white vinegar, rinsed, dried and nested inside each other, but you might want to put a strip of paper toweling in along the side of each bucket to make it easier to get them apart next year.

Russell Lampron
03-14-2016, 05:34 AM
All good suggestions so far but one thing I want to add is that you boil the metal spiles just before you tap next season to kill any bacteria that may still be on them.