PDA

View Full Version : Grading help

SDdave
03-13-2016, 07:03 PM
Ok, I don't produce enough to warrant purchasing a grading set. So here is what I got. I am guessing Grade A Dark Amber and Grade A Amber but would like to know what the good people on the trader thought.

Thanks,

SDdave

Urban Sugarmaker
03-13-2016, 07:26 PM
The dark one is definitely dark, in my opinion. The light one could be amber, but it might grade dark even if it's only slightly darker than a grading kit sample. The grades in the kits are the darkest allowed for each grade, and it can hard to tell from just a picture. Tasting samples is recommended as well. A grading kit is $20 and can be used for 2 seasons from what I gather reading on here.

Tapped Out
03-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Dave- looks to me that the one on the left (or bottom) is a very dark, and the other one is dark, but possibly on the edge of being an amber.

Sugarmaker
03-13-2016, 08:29 PM
top amber, bottom dark. you might invest in a Hanna Checker and you would not have to buy a grading kit ever.
Regards,
Chris

SDdave
03-13-2016, 08:46 PM
top amber, bottom dark. you might invest in a Hanna Checker and you would not have to buy a grading kit ever.
Regards,
Chris

Dammit...Just checked them out on their website. NOW I WANT ONE. Certainly looks easy to use.

SDdave

Urban Sugarmaker
03-13-2016, 08:54 PM
I have the Hanna grader and it's great, but just be sure your syrup is clear. Even a small amount of very fine suspended particles will cause to it grade darker than it really is. This can be a challenge sometimes with gravity filtration.

MISugarDaddy
03-14-2016, 06:15 AM
The Hanna grader for $59 is the best purchase anyone can make!!! Thanks to the other Traders on here for recommending it.
Gary

saphound
03-14-2016, 08:11 AM
Man, that is one awesome sap hauler, Gary! :cool:

highlandcattle
03-18-2016, 05:04 AM
Love the Hanna meter. I'm writing down the values. Amazing. Boy,this was someone's great idea!

450 taps on vacuum
Totally off grid with solar and wind
See us on Facebook, Highland Hills Farm,Ron's Sugar Shack

Sue @ Battel's Sugar Bush
03-23-2016, 03:27 PM
Do you live somewhere where grading is mandated? I'm in Michigan and our state department of ag does not require us to grade syrup so we don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed R
03-23-2016, 04:04 PM
Its nice to know the grade of each barrel if your selling in bulk, that way there is no issue at the buyer. You need to know for contests, Plus I like keeping track. I don't label my grade in Mi either. The Hanna Meter works slick.