View Full Version : Storing Syrup

tappin&sappin
03-12-2007, 11:39 AM
I searched around the site, but haven't found much on this subject.

Where does everyone store their syrup when it is bottled?

I am only bottling quart plastic jugs. Last year I put my syrup in plastic jugs and stored them in the basement (not heated). Some of the jugs had a little bit of mold in them. And yes, I only bottled when the syrup was 180+ deg F.

Is there any reason I couldn't freeze all my syrup in quart plastic containers?

MaplePancakeMan
03-12-2007, 11:52 AM
you didn't happen to have caps with those heat tamper proof seals did you, i had them on my glass bottles and they are the worst since you can't sterilize them. I had mold grow on a few because of those. Otherwise i'm pretty sure you can freeze them as long as they are 100% syrup all the way almost done syrup can grow mold and if put in the freezer can actually freeze the water left in it. i believe anyway, i'm sure someone else could help you out a little better than me

maplehound
03-12-2007, 01:52 PM
If you hav eenough freezer space, by all means freeze it. It won't freeze solid so it won't break the glass or plastic containers. Although if you don't have the freezer space it isn't really nessicary to do anything but place it on the shelf. As long as it has been hot packed and the container sealed it should hold for 2 or 3 years with no problem. Even if it does show some molding just dump it in a pan and skim off the mold, bring it back to a boil for a short time and all or most the flavor will be restored.

Fred Henderson
03-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Also remember that the plastic jug will allow some air into it unless they have the oxygen barrier coating.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-12-2007, 03:07 PM
post edited.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-12-2007, 03:15 PM
post edited.

sapman
03-12-2007, 08:11 PM
I was told once that the mold could be caused if one touches the underside of the cap before it is put on. It seems like the hot syrup should still sterilize everything, but I know mold does happen sometimes.

Tim

tappin&sappin
03-13-2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the replies. I might put one in the freezer and see how that works. But the lot of them are going to be put on the shelf.

Just worried that a customer would be turned off by a little bit of mold on top.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-13-2007, 09:45 AM
They will keep forever in the freezer. If you are concerned, pick up an old chest freezer for $ 50 or free for the hauling and store all of your syrup in it.

H. Walker
03-13-2007, 08:26 PM
If you lay the container of hot syrup on its side to cool you shouldn't end up with any mold. The hot syrup will sterilize the neck and cap of the container.

HanginAround
03-13-2007, 08:42 PM
I read something in the old NAMPM, said something like... they has seen some mold even in hot packaged syrup, but none if it was packaged at 180 and stored at 38, and none at any storage temp if it was packaged at 199 F. I would have to go find it again to be sure, but that was the gist of it I think.

tappin&sappin
03-14-2007, 08:12 AM
I read in the North American Syrup Producers Manual last night that storing it in a freezer is about the best method.

Which is what most people are saying to do. I have a couple big freezers, so I think that is the route I'm going to take.

Another question... For you guys that draw off, filter at the evaporator and then wait a while (day to a wk) to bottle the syrup; where do you keep the syrup until it is bottled?

I assume you want to keep it cool and out of the sun, but are there any other rules of thumb to follow?

maplehound
03-14-2007, 12:55 PM
I store mine in 5 gallon continers. Then I put them in a regular cooler box that I have set up for a storage building. ( no refrigeration)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-16-2007, 02:02 PM
5 gallon buckets with seal tight lids work good because they are easy to dump and drain and if the syrup is a little heavy and forms crystals in the bottom, it is easier to rinse the bucket completely clean with a little water to ensure you get all of the syrup out of it and don't waste any.