PDA

View Full Version : floating foam?

eustis22
03-13-2016, 01:17 PM
Just looked into my tank containing my end of season collection....there are floating patches of foam in it. I am in process of boiling it all off but should I continue? While cloudy, the sap does NOT taste bad.

BreezyHill
03-13-2016, 06:43 PM
keep going. Foam of a brownish color is just some scum that forms...happens to all. If you let it stick to the pan edges it will dry and be a pain to remove so skim off all you can.

Russell Lampron
03-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Just looked into my tank containing my end of season collection....there are floating patches of foam in it. I am in process of boiling it all off but should I continue? While cloudy, the sap does NOT taste bad.

It happens, looks almost like bubble bath suds. Boil it and make some good syrup.

keep going. Foam of a brownish color is just some scum that forms...happens to all. If you let it stick to the pan edges it will dry and be a pain to remove so skim off all you can.

I think he's asking about foam in his sap tank.

adk1
03-13-2016, 08:55 PM
I get the foam when I transfer sap with higher sugar content

eustis22
03-14-2016, 07:08 AM
eh...I started emptying the tank and as I got closer to the bottom the sap took on an almost-yeasty smell and I could see strings in it so I pitched it. I will finish what's in my pan and what I drew off but separately from my earlier batches of concentrate. I also learned a) on my last collection there's no need to put it in the tank vs right into the preheater and 2) empty the tank when I get close to the bottom and don't let sap sit in there too long unless I've got ice.

Thanks for the assistance.