PDA

View Full Version : Brix, maple flavor, using batch pan

Pete S
03-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Sorry but this is gonna be a bit long and wordy;

OK,.........last year was our first. We're just a small set-up utilizing a batch pan, adding and cooking until we run/boil down 40 gallons of sap. We used the thermometer/looks like/tastes like method. The result was very pretty light sweet syrup, which all who we gave it to loved it.

BUT, looking here and talking to some seasoned producers,.............maybe we didn't make "SYRUP".............it was probably "ALMOST DUN"!

SO.......this year we bought a Syrup Hydrometer from The Maple Guys, (which was an excellent experience) and did our boil down yesterday.

We had some stored sap which was frozen TOTALLY in a snow bank within a plastic garbage can, the other half was frsh from the trees as we are back runnin. (just like last year)

We did our batch boil again, just add and boil and add and boil. We ran till it was gettin' close, lowered the flame to avoid boil over,...........checked our Brix Hydrometer, and we're almost there. Boiled a bit longer, and now we were "more dense" than the HOT RED LINE..............so we took it off and canned it. (oh well)

Here's the delema; We have nice thick syrup, color good, just a hint of solids........so what.

BUT.......I recieved a bottle/sample from a large producer/farmer friend of mine.

HIS has a VERY distinct MAPLE flavor, and we have a hint of it, but not close to his.
NOTE that we had the same flavor last year.

I don't think friends and family will mind as they consume this stuff, but ..........are we missing out on something?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.

Confused in Plymouth, WI
Pete

325abn
03-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Was the sample uou tried as light as yours?
The darker the Syrup the more "robust" the Maple flavor!

HanginAround
03-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Should we share the secret recipe with him? LOL J/k

Every batch from every woods tastes different, plus, what 325 says, the darker, the more flavourful usually. Even the mix of types of maples changes the flavour. As long as you're getting the density high enough, it's fine.

Fred Henderson
03-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Also if you get it to dense the next time just add some clean sap until it is right.

WVsugarwidow
03-12-2007, 12:28 PM
We also are small processors. We use a pan over a wood stove in a shed that we affectionately call our "Suga' Shack". Our syrup this year was darker then last year and more "mapley" tasting. We used the same trees that we used last year and the same method of preparation. Last year the syrup was lighter and not as strong. Does the weather affect the "grade" of syrup? Or is it all in the processing?

RileySugarbush
03-12-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm switching from a long batch process to a sap pan/sugar pan evaporator. I prefer not to get light syrup. Some of the best tasting and best received syrups I've made over the years have been dark enough to be called grade B.
I know the finished product depends a lot on the sap and is out of our control, but there are probably some things that could influence it in the direction you want. As an example, the "boil it the day you collect it" philosophy seems to be aimed toward getting a Grade A Fancy product. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to nudge my syrup towards the more "robust" darker syrup I like best? Should I age my sap?

Pete S
03-12-2007, 05:45 PM
We are located on the top of a ridge,................a large glacial deposit. The trees we've tapped are on this ridge.............lot's of limestone/sedimentary/loamy soil and gravel.....all round. I beleive we've tapped all Sugar Maples.

Our syrup as mentioned, this year was made a bit on the heavy side.

Our color "matched" our gift sample that had the robust maple flavor.

Our syrup is so sweet, it's incredible.

We were just interested, and somewhat disappointed that our syrup doesn't have that "robust" maple flavor.

But, it's delicious, sweet and we made it.

We're boiling again next Sunday. We'll probably get the same results, but maybe next year things will be stronger flavored?

Thanks!

Pete

sapman
03-12-2007, 08:19 PM
John,

By all means, for darker syrup, let the sap set. I still try to boil immediately, though, as I prefer the lighter stuff. But I have had a lot of call for darker lately. The darker syrups are a result of higher concentrations of bacteria prior to boiling, so the longer sap sets, and warmer it is, the faster they multiply.

Tim

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Sounds like it is light syrup with early season sap and has the more delicate flavor but is darker because you batch boiled it, but the longer boiling just made it darker in color but didn't affect the flavor much.

SteveD
03-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Also ....some folks attribute a "better" maple flavor to syrup made over a wood fire. Of course, a lot of others feel that is bunk.

Johnny Cuervo
03-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Pete I get the same result, and have for 5 years. Light to dark is very sweet almost like butterscotch. Besides tree and soil differences I think the process has something to do with it. I think with smaller batches carmelization is kept to a minimum and bacteria count is kept low. I have always wanted to buy some sap from a different location just to see how much it would differ. All and all its great tasting syrup (try it on vanilla ice cream) and many prefer it to stronger flavored one.