PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing stock pot

MidMichMaple
03-12-2016, 07:16 PM
So tonight I'm trying to reheat some syrup that I bottled too dense. I mixed in some fresh sap and started heating it up in a 10 qt stainless pot. It's a pretty thin pot and it's about half full of almost syrup. Anyway, as it heated up on the propane stove it started to make popping sounds and the pot would bounce slightly. It kept getting worse until the thing dang near bounced off the stove (holy crap that would be enough to make me find a new hobby.)

Anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if I need to dump some out of the pot so it can heat more evenly? I've used this pot many times for syruping and never had this problem.

MidMichMaple
03-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Well, to maybe answer my own question... I think it has something to do with heating a column of syrup quickly and it's too dense for the heat to rise up through the syrup. When the pot "bounces" there is also a large bubble coming up to the top. I started using a smaller pot made of heavier gauge steel and heated it more slowly and that helped a lot. Still got a few "pops" but nothing like the deeper pot with thin walls. That thing scared me. I think I almost painted my kitchen with syrup.

Snappyssweets
03-12-2016, 08:36 PM
That would scare the hell out of me. I admit it. LOL

Last year I went to dump fresh sap into a pot and it tipped on me. Lost five gallons of sap. **** near had heart failure as it tipped over the propane burner I was using too. That was close enough for me I don't need accidents and unknowns going on when I am boiling.

jasminesugardaddy
03-12-2016, 09:24 PM
i know what your talking about, if you stir it as it heats it wont do that much at all.
i like to get a whirlpool going then walk away when cold syrup is heating.

I noticed the sap in the evaporator rise about an inch across the whole thing right as the sap started getting hot. I thought i could fit another bucket of sap and real quickly i lost the space, then it boiled about 5 mins later. interesting observation thought id share on this thread.

bcarpenter
03-13-2016, 08:36 AM
So tonight I'm trying to reheat some syrup that I bottled too dense. I mixed in some fresh sap and started heating it up in a 10 qt stainless pot. It's a pretty thin pot and it's about half full of almost syrup. Anyway, as it heated up on the propane stove it started to make popping sounds and the pot would bounce slightly. It kept getting worse until the thing dang near bounced off the stove (holy crap that would be enough to make me find a new hobby.)

Anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if I need to dump some out of the pot so it can heat more evenly? I've used this pot many times for syruping and never had this problem.

I had that problem with my 8 gallon bayou classic pot but on the wife's glad stop stove. In a propane pruner outside no issues. I have to use the TRi later bottom pots inside on the glass top stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidMichMaple
03-13-2016, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the suggestion to stir it as it heats. That pretty much solves the problem.