PDA

View Full Version : First year tapping

Lucky Dog
03-12-2016, 02:58 PM
Hello, this is my first post, and my first year tapping maples.
I've been lurking for a while and this year took the plunge and bought 20 tap and bag setups. Soon after bought 10 more.
I have what I believe are Red Maples, and many of them are young and on the small side, but I'm amazed at how much sap and syrup I'm getting. I was hoping to get a gallon for the year and am already at about 3 1/2 gallons.

I'm boiling on a cement block make shift fire place, using two steam table pans. Trying to boil on weekends. Which has made for some long days.

So as I sit watching the boil, I start wondering about how to "step it up". I've been looking at small fabricated arches, and also at ideas to fabricate my own out of a barrel.

Then I start to wonder that if I can get more efficient, will it be as much fun? The truth is keeping it simple is part of the apeal for me, and I pretty much have all the tappable trees tapped so growth is not an option.

Anyway, thanks for all the help you all have unknowingly given me while I lurked.

Here is my boiling setup in action.

bcarpenter
03-12-2016, 03:23 PM
Be careful. This hobby is addicting and you will have a 100 taps before you know it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolly Acres Farm
03-12-2016, 09:09 PM
Lucky Dog,
Welcome to the Maple addiction. Last year I had 25 taps and this year I have 106. Every where I look I see more Maples to tap. Be careful its addicting. In all seriousness have fun.

Jacob
03-13-2016, 10:42 AM
Lucky Dog,
Welcome to the Maple addiction. Last year I had 25 taps and this year I have 106. Every where I look I see more Maples to tap. Be careful its addicting. In all seriousness have fun.
Doing this is very addicting this is my second year I had only one tree this year I tapped 2 neighbors trees and 4 at my daughter's now I drive around looking at all the trees in my small neighborhood and may ask more people next year and offer a bottle to all who say ok to tap there tree