PDA

View Full Version : Think I missed out

Jal-Bear
03-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Have been under the weather the past 3 weeks. Now that I'm good to go with the weather the way it has been I'm debating if I should tap or just look forward to next season?

Russell Lampron
03-12-2016, 11:14 AM
I say go for it! I don't know how far north you are in Maine but there could be 2 or more weeks left here in central New Hampshire.

Mitchman
03-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Getting the best run today that I have had all season, and I've been tapped since Jan. 27 ? Over in Carmel I have to believe you have quite a few day left .

Jal-Bear
03-13-2016, 09:36 PM
I put in around 150 taps yesterday afternoon and they were running good. Collected around 80-85 gallons this afternoon and fired up the evaporator this evening. Plan to tap a few more tomorrow. Hopefully we'll get a couple more decent runs. I guess late is better that never!

Mitchman
03-14-2016, 04:55 AM
See that !! It may be all darker but who cares if you love maple syrup and making it right!! a BALMY 19 degree walk to the shack this morning to light the fires, at least it was frozen and I wasn't sinking in mud !!!!

hambone
03-14-2016, 05:12 AM
Yes! I can't believe my eyes 18 degrees at 5am in Central Maine, we got another good freeze, just what we were hoping for. We sweetened the pans last Thursday and had a little drawoff. Boiled yesterday and made around 3 gallons and was hoping it wasn't over. Very happy to see the cold temperature! And happy the ground will be firm to collect because our snow is gone.

ToddyKioti
03-15-2016, 06:36 PM
I would tap if I were in your shoes, next week looks ideal! This has been a strange season for sure but some syrup is better than none?

sap seeker
03-16-2016, 05:08 AM
I too have thought about not tapping this season as the wife had planned a trip. to Florida in the middle of sap season from which we just returned.:cry: I have actually been working on building a new arch and am anxious to try it so I may still go for it, next two weeks look good in central Maine and I am in a cool spot. One other factor for not tapping was concern for budding. You guys think we are all set for a couple more weeks?

Mitchman
03-16-2016, 05:40 AM
Don't know about 2 weeks but setting up for a wicked good Sunday and some days after that for 10 day's, maybe more ?

Revi
03-16-2016, 12:04 PM
I think we are good until around the 26th, and then the long range shows temps not making to freezing around here. I think we'll pull the taps around Maple Sunday, but the forecast is not set in stone yet, so we'll see.

Revi
03-16-2016, 12:07 PM
Here's the forecast for Carmel for the next couple of weeks. Doesn't look bad at all. Low temps in the 20's and highs in the 40's for at least 9 more days.

https://www.wunderground.com/us/me/carmel