jmayerl
03-11-2016, 04:00 PM
All done. Those aren't buds anymore, those are flowers

Jacob
03-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Thank you so sad

Jacob
03-11-2016, 04:15 PM
Thank you wish could of lasted longer my sap was a little cloudy but tasted fine

littleTapper
03-11-2016, 05:35 PM
Last year I made great syrup a week after the silver maple flowers opened. After that it started to taste bad, but was still crystal clear. This year, I won't know because it's too warm and the trees aren't running. Cook some down and see how it tastes.

Jacob
03-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Last year I made great syrup a week after the silver maple flowers opened. After that it started to taste bad, but was still crystal clear. This year, I won't know because it's too warm and the trees aren't running. Cook some down and see how it tastes.
I will do that I'm boiling now it is cloudy but taste good

325abn
03-11-2016, 07:53 PM
You will know it when you boil buddy sap.

MunsterMapler
03-11-2016, 08:42 PM
It's hard for me to determine when to stop collecting sap, I've never read anything or found anything that can you can help you determine visually when the sap turns buddy. Other than boiling it and smelling the difference. I suppose it's all a learning experience for me because I have seemed to have a full pan of sweet that got ruined because of buddy sap, which sucks because the all the sap was clear as day. I guess I'll just have to keep a better eye on the trees and see how the buds are progressing as the season goes on for next year. I should add that I tap mosly all silver maples and they seem to bud out the earliest.

Jacob
03-12-2016, 12:41 AM
It's hard for me to determine when to stop collecting sap, I've never read anything or found anything that can you can help you determine visually when the sap turns buddy. Other than boiling it and smelling the difference. I suppose it's all a learning experience for me because I have seemed to have a full pan of sweet that got ruined because of buddy sap, which sucks because the all the sap was clear as day. I guess I'll just have to keep a better eye on the trees and see how the buds are progressing as the season goes on for next year. I should add that I tap mosly all silver maples and they seem to bud out the earliest.
I think I made a big mistake tonight also I boiled about 40 gallons in 5 containers some were clear and some were cloudy I should of boils the clear separate now they all look cloudy will wait till I boil on stove see how it turns out would sure hate to throw that much out mine is silver maple also

MunsterMapler
03-12-2016, 09:35 AM
I think that my issue is that the silvers bud out so early where I am at, that by the time my pan got sweetened the buds were starting to burst. Kind of stinks because now I have about 3 gallons of buddy syrup. I guess I'm looking for the same answers as you are as to when to stop collecting

saphound
03-12-2016, 10:03 AM
I think if there is any question later in the season, after collecting just bring a cup sample inside and bring it to a boil. The smell and or taste will tell you what ya got.

jasminesugardaddy
03-12-2016, 09:43 PM
i saw buds like that on some trees on our property and didn't tap them. what kind of maple i that?

I never heard of people tapping anything other then sugar maples till i found this forum.

my grampa told me the tree you have a pic of is a soft maple (he called it that) and that it made sap that wasent worth boiling.there is a huge one right near where we boil. never tapped it.

Run Forest Run!
03-12-2016, 09:48 PM
That picture is of a silver maple, which is one of many types of soft maples. Its sap is wonderful and the syrup made from it is very mild.

Cedar Eater
03-12-2016, 11:28 PM
my grampa told me the tree you have a pic of is a soft maple (he called it that) and that it made sap that wasent worth boiling.there is a huge one right near where we boil. never tapped it.

That's one of the myths of syrup making. Red and silver maples are both soft maples and both make good syrup.

Jacob
03-13-2016, 10:34 AM
That's one of the myths of syrup making. Red and silver maples are both soft maples and both make good syrup.
Re cedareater If u tasted it u would think differently I have sold and everyone just loves it

Cedar Eater
03-13-2016, 10:44 AM
Re cedareater If u tasted it u would think differently I have sold and everyone just loves it

I do think differently. The myth is that soft maples don't make good syrup, that only sugar maples are worth tapping. My reds make excellent syrup.

Geroldn
03-13-2016, 11:50 AM
I've read lots of discussion on budding, buddy sap and how to tell if the season is over by sap or syrup bad taste. For the tree biologists; does the tree bud out because of warm temperature or longer daylight? Or is it impossible to separate these influences? What chemistry is happening?

zandstrafarms
03-14-2016, 12:14 PM
Good advice, I ran out last night and collected from the most flowery silver I coyld find and also a black with no buds.

Collected 1/2 cup of each and threw into my electric water boiler. 20 minutes later 1tb of near syrup. Black maple had just over half cup but boiled to less than 1 tb after 30 minutes, and not as close to syrup as the silver got. I preferred the light buttery taste of the silver I've the lack luster black. Maybe due to closeness to syrup.

I don't yet have a cup from my sap hydrometer (gotta make one).

But according to my phone temps will drop into teens next week, so I don't think its over yet!

Jacob
03-14-2016, 05:04 PM
Good advice, I ran out last night and collected from the most flowery silver I coyld find and also a black with no buds.

Collected 1/2 cup of each and threw into my electric water boiler. 20 minutes later 1tb of near syrup. Black maple had just over half cup but boiled to less than 1 tb after 30 minutes, and not as close to syrup as the silver got. I preferred the light buttery taste of the silver I've the lack luster black. Maybe due to closeness to syrup.

I don't yet have a cup from my sap hydrometer (gotta make one).

But according to my phone temps will drop into teens next week, so I don't think its over yet!
That is what will be happening here Thursday night it will start getting below freezing and looks like it may stay that way for a while and I am excited I taste some of my sap each time I get some from tree do u need to boil first or will it taste bad right out of the tree

Run Forest Run!
03-14-2016, 05:37 PM
You need to boil it first to be certain Jacob.

Jacob
03-16-2016, 11:30 AM
You need to boil it first to be certain Jacob.
What temperature do I need to boil to 212 or 219 I am boiling sample now

Run Forest Run!
03-16-2016, 11:33 AM
212 should do it. Get it to a rapid boil and sniff the steam.

Jacob
03-16-2016, 11:54 AM
I just finished I got 2 cup and boiled git little bit of syrup and started turning to candy but it is good cloudy but good and Thurs night freezing temps I'm excited

Run Forest Run!
03-16-2016, 12:04 PM
That's great news Jacob. Enjoy the extra sap.

Jacob
03-16-2016, 12:08 PM
Will do and thanks for all your help and knowledge

odave
03-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Just posted over in the Michigan thread that I test boiled some sap from a flowered silver and boy does it stink. Did it inside and my wife is not very happy with me. You will definitely know when it turns - it's a totally different smell.

maplestudent
03-17-2016, 06:26 AM
Just posted over in the Michigan thread that I test boiled some sap from a flowered silver and boy does it stink. Did it inside and my wife is not very happy with me. You will definitely know when it turns - it's a totally different smell.

Good to know. I'll test boil outside.