PDA

View Full Version : SUGAR SHANTY 16'x26' 8/12 Pitch

SuzukiSapper
03-11-2016, 10:19 AM
New build for 2016. I added on to my Garage and picked away at it over the summer/fall. A lot of my materials were repurposed. Trusses from Buy & Sell website stored them for 2 years until ready to build. Lighting same, vapour proof 4' fluorescent for $5.00 each stored away. Son going thru school for electrician ~ wired the shanty. Lumber yard has great Barn Pine milled on 3 sides, stained to match steel clad garage. Steam chimney with cupola lined with rigid greenhouse polycarbonate works like a charm!

Ordered Phaneuf 2'x6' Drop Flue pan set. Pans are fabulous, excellent quality and price. However, chasing them done from September to February was frustrating to say the least. Still tweaking the setup as sap has been slow and I missed the early February runs waiting for pans and constructing and bricking the new arch. Arch is home built and designed based on several different principles. 6" Inline fan feeding an AOF system of 2" heavy wall tube with 20 .5" spigots for air delivery. Fan control on Medium makes it like a forge resulting in stack temps of 1000* to 1200* degrees. Natural draft for AUF works very well. Lined with full size firebrick with approx 2" between brick and flues (room for adjustments).

Running about 2" over flues due to Thermometer length and also trepidation of scorching new pans until I get comfy with the new rig. As it is I am managing about 35 gallons per hour and with low sap collection that at least gives me a few hours of boiling per session to tweak the rig.

Have seen a bent or serpentine Thermometer on here somewhere. I really I'd like to source a Digital Thermometer with a flexible probe for 1/4" ferrule. Anyone a source?? Comments or advice always welcome.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
ATTACH=CONFIG]13722[/ATTACH]13723137241372513726