PDA

View Full Version : Don’t pull your taps yet!

SapLover
03-10-2016, 11:42 PM
Check the forecast – freezing weather 8-10 days ahead.

Another run is coming our way!

markct
03-11-2016, 05:17 AM
The trees will bud out in that long without a frost especially after it being so warm for days. It's pretty much over, but been a good season here

lafite
03-11-2016, 07:36 AM
no offense Saplover but this is the CT thread! we are on the southern edge of the belt and feel the effects of spring quicker than the rest! my red has started to bud yesterday... I do hope you have many more runs!

SapLover
03-11-2016, 11:18 AM
lafite

Lafite - my trees are just west of you in Redding (CT) - basically the same climate as Cheshire

lafite
03-11-2016, 12:09 PM
sorry, your location says NY. I hope they run well for you!

lafite
03-11-2016, 12:36 PM

what a difference 2 years makes...March 11, 2014

DaveB
03-11-2016, 12:41 PM
what a difference 2 years makes...March 11, 2014

I don't even have to go back two years. Last year at this time I was just getting going!

I'm still getting good sap and will probably have a solid freeze tonight and will be boiling all weekend but my issue is next week. I have no way of keeping the sap cool for several days and have no idea how the trees will respond as well. The weather pattern looks favorable starting the end of next week but it might be too late for me.

SapLover
03-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Don’t loose faith. It will get cold again.

Unless you tapped in January, your holes should be fine.

CTsap
03-11-2016, 06:33 PM
So will the sap run tonight? Just checked my buckets and nothing. Going to drop to 29 degrees tonight, probably colder in the hole I live in...wondering if I will have anything to boil in am. I'm in Ashford.

hodorskib
03-11-2016, 08:39 PM
Last year at this time I was tapping out in 3' of snow and tonight I bottled up the last of my syrup and cleaned the RO and pan in just a sweatshirt. Pulling them tomorrow. No complaints 21 gallons of syrup in 21 days off 80 taps. Checked my taps and about half are still dripping. It all depends on the location of your trees - mine are on the North side of a large ridge and along a brook so sugar content is low 1.5%. We are usually a full week behind others just a few miles away. If you trees are in the woods with little direct sun this time of year I would leave them in they most likely won't bud out before the change back to colder temps. Good luck to anyone sticking it out.

DaveB
03-12-2016, 06:50 AM
So will the sap run tonight? Just checked my buckets and nothing. Going to drop to 29 degrees tonight, probably colder in the hole I live in...wondering if I will have anything to boil in am. I'm in Ashford.

With the freezing temps last night I don't think the sap would have flowed last night but depending on when you tapped your trees, you might get some flow today/tomorrow. If you tapped back in January, the holes are approaching 8 weeks old and they naturally stop flowing but if you tapped in February, they should still flow.

sugarridge48
03-12-2016, 10:32 AM
Getting some slow drops in north canton hopefully it will amount to something.